• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental Lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

joyceg

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My daughter called and asked me to post this question.

She rented a 4 bedroom apartment with two guys. One of them did not pass the credit check and didn't sign a lease. (He had told her they should all live there because he was currently renting there and it wouldn't matter about the credit check.)

Everyone is on a seperate lease and is only responsible for their part. She agreed to move to this place to help this guy out, but would have rather lived 15 miles up the road closer to work.

Is she stuck in this lease? Is there a way to get out of a lease if you have not moved in yet? The apartment will not be ready until August 21st. She wouldn't mind paying extra months rent to break lease. Is this allowed in state of VA? I am new to leases as I have never had to sign a lease before.

Thanks.
Joyce

FarmerJ

Have her go put on her best negotiators hat and sit down with the LL and see what she can negotiate in writting to cancel the lease . AND if she succeeds in getting written cancelation good for her . If she cannot then post on this thread and go from there .

J

joyceg

I insisted that she see a lawyer. She did go and said that he told her that she stuck. GRRRRRRRRRRR. But that if management moves anyone in, from the state of VIRGINIA, all daughter has to do is go to a website and check him/her out. Do a back ground check. It will tell if and what he/she has been convicted of.

If it is something that makes my daughter uncomfortable, like robbery, assult:eek: ...(something more than a traffic violation) she can write a letter to management to give them to option to cancel her lease or move that person out. If they refuse, then the lawyer can move on it.

I really appreciate your post even though I decided that since time was against us, we skip manager and move on lawyer. It was FREE, too!:D
Joyce

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">