• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rental rights when landlord sells

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

andirai

Tennessee
I am renting a house in Tennessee and the landlord put it on the market in November. We have a two year lease which ends December 2011. We have spoken several times in the past about moving out before the house sells (with no objection on his behalf) and now that I actually want to move, he is threating me with the lease. He says thirty days notice is enough time for me to find another place to live and wants me to continue to show the house and pay rent until he is ready for me to go. I have searched online and cannot find a renter's rights in this situation. I see my choices as staying till he gives a thirty days notice, or staying till December. Neither of these is acceptable as I have children and need more notice than thirty days to find a new home in this school district.

Banned_Princess

Tennessee
I am renting a house in Tennessee and the landlord put it on the market in November. We have a two year lease which ends December 2011. We have spoken several times in the past about moving out before the house sells (with no objection on his behalf) and now that I actually want to move, he is threating me with the lease.
Next time he agrees to let you out of the lease, get it in writing. if you dont have in writing it didnt happen.

He says thirty days notice is enough time for me to find another place to live and wants me to continue to show the house and pay rent until he is ready for me to go.
You just said you want to leave... so now you dont want to leave? Or are you saying he will give you 30 day notice when he wants you to leave?

I have searched online and cannot find a renter's rights in this situation. I see my choices as staying till he gives a thirty days notice, or staying till December. Neither of these is acceptable as I have children and need more notice than thirty days to find a new home in this school district.
Ok do you want to move or dont you.

andirai

I want to move out of the house. He is planning on replacing the carpets and other maintance that I don't want to be around for. He wants me to stay and pay rent so he does not have that burdon but I cannot just wait around for a house that may or may not sell. There is alot of uncertainty in that situation.

Banned_Princess

I want to move out of the house. He is planning on replacing the carpets and other maintance that I don't want to be around for. He wants me to stay and pay rent so he does not have that burdon but I cannot just wait around for a house that may or may not sell. There is alot of uncertainty in that situation.
Ok, so this is what the option is.

1. you are currently on a lease.

you can
A. get the ll to let you out of the lease now (or in 30 days) in writing, then move...
OR
you can
B. tell him that you will absolutely not move until the end of the lease nomatter what.

Maybe if you threaten him with B ( which is your right to do, he cant break the lease any more then you can ) unless he goes with A.

Really thats the jist of it.

justalayman

Tennessee
. He says thirty days notice is enough time for me to find another place to live and wants me to continue to show the house and pay rent until he is ready for me to go. I have searched online and cannot find a renter's rights in this situation. I see my choices as staying till he gives a thirty days notice, or staying till December. Neither of these is acceptable as I have children and need more notice than thirty days to find a new home in this school district.
A lease transfers with the sale unless the lease specifically states otherwise. So, with that, you have about a years notice of having to move. Is that enough? He cannot simply give you a 30 day notice and expect you to move if you have a lease.

Searchertwin

Tennessee
I am renting a house in Tennessee and the landlord put it on the market in November. We have a two year lease which ends December 2011. We have spoken several times in the past about moving out before the house sells (with no objection on his behalf) and now that I actually want to move, he is threating me with the lease. He says thirty days notice is enough time for me to find another place to live and wants me to continue to show the house and pay rent until he is ready for me to go. I have searched online and cannot find a renter's rights in this situation. I see my choices as staying till he gives a thirty days notice, or staying till December. Neither of these is acceptable as I have children and need more notice than thirty days to find a new home in this school district.
Aw, but you do have renters right. The right to fulfill your lease or not.
The latter will cost you alot.

The last quote, "Neither of these is acceptable as I have children and need more notice than thirty days to find a new home in this school district".
Are you unique? Sometimes I wonder about what makes them think the way they do.
Every tenant and LL give 30 days notice with or without children.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

If the LL wants to get rid of the house badly enough the LL can sign a simple letter for you , your name , address and simple statement , by mutual agreement we both agree to end the current lease due to expire ( date) by ( date) with no penalty to ( you) signed and signed. You can take many things that you will not need until spring /summer/ fall and store them in self storage unit (it will make for one heck of a lot less to move) every thing from spring -summer wear to halloween -xmas stuff and keep adding to it reducing how much stuff you actually have to move to a point that moving is much easier then once your moved unload the self storage at your own pace. OR simpler yet insist on staying through the end of your current lease and put up with any remodeling your LL plans on doing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">