• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renters rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lisa424816

What is the name of your state? California
Legally, can a prospective landlord request 3 months worth of bank statements? Before even saying they will rent to you, they want a credit report, bank account numbers, statements for 3 months, etc. What do they have a right to collect BEFORE deciding?

Tayla

Here is a link to a california state guide book. It gives some answers:
http://www.dca.ca.gov/legal/landlordbook/2004_legis_summary.pdf
The question of 'can' a landlord request bank statements, yes. can you decline such, sure.
Bank statements are not a pre-requisite for a landlord.Nor is it mandated by law that bank statements must be submitted when applying for tenancy.
The landlord does have the option of doing a credit check and even that is optional if he/she doesnt want to.

HomeGuru

Lisa424816 said:
What is the name of your state? California
Legally, can a prospective landlord request 3 months worth of bank statements? Before even saying they will rent to you, they want a credit report, bank account numbers, statements for 3 months, etc. What do they have a right to collect BEFORE deciding?

**A: yes and a landlord can request any documentation of the prospective tenant that a mortgage lender requires of a prospective borrower including a credit report, verification of mortgage or rental, financial statement, pay stubs, bank statements, tax returns. verification of employment etc.

L

Lisa424816

California--Basically, I live in an area where you get a place to rent if they "like you". The reason I asked the question what they have a legal right to ask for before considering you is because years ago we were turned down for many places based on the fact that we have two teens and two toddlers. Four bedroom houses were given to couples with no children because "the septic tank was not big enough for a family our size." I don't mind giving documentation to someone that is going to rent to me but again, we had over 20 credit checks the last time we rented. We decided to look into buying but because of all the requests for our credit, we were told that it didn't look good. So again, BEFORE they say they are considering renting to you, do they have a right to the documentation requested? We've supplied credit checks, bank statements, applications, letters of recommendation from our present landlord, and other forms of recommendations. I don't think just anyone has a right to our personal information unless they are seriously considering us. Thanks.

HomeGuru

Lisa424816 said:
California--Basically, I live in an area where you get a place to rent if they "like you". The reason I asked the question what they have a legal right to ask for before considering you is because years ago we were turned down for many places based on the fact that we have two teens and two toddlers. Four bedroom houses were given to couples with no children because "the septic tank was not big enough for a family our size." I don't mind giving documentation to someone that is going to rent to me but again, we had over 20 credit checks the last time we rented. We decided to look into buying but because of all the requests for our credit, we were told that it didn't look good. So again, BEFORE they say they are considering renting to you, do they have a right to the documentation requested? We've supplied credit checks, bank statements, applications, letters of recommendation from our present landlord, and other forms of recommendations. I don't think just anyone has a right to our personal information unless they are seriously considering us. Thanks.

**A: such documentation should be requested at the time you turn in your application.

JETX

Lisa424816 said:
So again, BEFORE they say they are considering renting to you, do they have a right to the documentation requested?
And again, yes, they have the right to ask you for anything that they want to. Even how often you change your oil in the car.

I don't think just anyone has a right to our personal information unless they are seriously considering us.
Than simply don't give it to them. See, you are caught in a catch-22 of your own making. You want someone to rent you their house to live in, they have the right to ask you, or request you provide, pretty much anything they want (with very few exceptions), you have the option of providing it or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">