• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renters rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GWJones

What is the name of your state? California

I have been a house-guest in the home of a friend who died recently, on-and-off for the past eleven years, and continuously, for the past twelve + months. I worked on the home in-exchange for room and board (the deceased was the home-owner) . This arrangement is known, both, to the neighbors, and to the family of the deceased as well. In-addition, I have a letter from the deceased, written to the Bank of America, introducing me as a friend who was living in his home. What tenant/renter rights do I have with the deceased's family?What is the name of your state?

FarmerJ

You should expect to be treated as if you were a renter . SO if you dont want to wait for a executor of the estate to send you notice to vacate follow your states laws for tenants and give notice accordingly. The letter to the bank is meaningless , just plan on finding a new place to live and give proper notice. The reason you were living there (direct care is now gone) You could make your being there more palatable by offering to pay the utility bills since now your the only one living there. If you take that approach the executor might even want you to stay in the home until its disposition is settled BUT its not likely they are going to not be so willing if its costing them money to house you with utility bills.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">