• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renting a condemned house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tokipol

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia, Hampton

I recently moved out of a house i found out was condemned. I've tried calling the city after i got nowhere with the landlord. the roof was falling apart the attic was full of mold and this was on top of a host of other issues i was told basically to shut up and just pay for.

This house was condemned from day one as far as i can tell. was it at all legal and is there anything i can do to see what the home was cited for. i feel beyond betrayed about all of this and confused at the fact that he went from a nice guy to a screaming psycho who i had to block from entering the apartment because he considered leaving a voice mail 30mins prior proper notice to do who knows what.

advice? should i just forget about it and move on with my life?

Cvillecpm

Forget and move on. If the property was "condemned" there would be no electric meter on it as the city would have had it removed, the windows would have been boarded up and the water shut off....

tokipol

the condemned status was in the courts tho.. if that makes a difference... the inspector sounded pretty bored about the whole topic.. but did mention that none of the fixes had been done.

I'm not looking to sue or anything.. I'm leaving the state shortly and will just take to losses as a life lesson. it's just a bit crazy to see that there is no way i can know just what danger i was in.

Alaska landlord

The inspector looked bored because his findings did not rise to the level of concern you have. People that are ignorant about mold issues and watch too many movies often get excited about a little mold. Time to move on and be more selective of the property you rent.

tokipol

ok. I'll leave it to me being young and ignorant. lets hope i do much better next time.. thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">