• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renting in FL while new home is being built

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

audie1231

I am in the process of finding a home to rent since I sold my house and my new home is not finished being built. I have had a hard time finding a rental that will allow a large dog (dalmation) and a short term lease. My new home will not be ready for approximately 6-9 months. I found a home to rent, however have been told they will most likely not allow only a 6 month contract.

Please advise if there is any provision in the state of FL for early termination of a lease due to early completion of a new home being built.

If there is not and I terminate the lease early, am I responsible for the rent for the entire lease time if they do not find new renters once I move? Or do I just lose my deposit?

R

retertoooo

You'd better start saving tons of money FAST......

Florida is the WORST state for tenants.....

if you sign a years lease and break it the landlord has the option of suing you each month for the rent left on the lease, by keeping the apartment empty.

It id Illegal to charge 2 people rent on the same apartment.

So if you wanted to get out of your lease YOU are going to have to find acceptable tenants for the landlord, YOU wil have to help show the apartment, and you will hve to pay for the ads and any other costs.

Of course the landlord COULD be a wonderful sweet old couple who would let you out of your lease with no penalties and wish you well in your new home..

fat chance... right?

J

John Bear

your best bet would be to try to find a landlord who has a lease that offers a 60 to 90 day termination notice that wont be a full year . {like a month to month with 60 to 90 day notice to terminate } see if they would go that route and start asking your friends / relatives if any of them who have single family homes that arent rentals if your dog could stay there while you are building

Cvillecpm

No state allows a "get out of lease clause" as you suggest. You should task your Realtor with finding you a temporary home OR, ask to "rent back" the home you have sold. Many property owners find themselves in this position when they don't realize that owners want long-term stable tenants rather than someone only living in their property for a few months.

Try a local apt complex that will take you for short term and pay extra deposit for dog.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">