• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renting a Room in my home...need advice.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mark1210

What is the name of your state? TX

Hello Everyone,

I need some advice, I recently purchased a home and am thinking of renting out one of my bedrooms. So that I can protect myself, my property and have legal recourse (if needed) what are the steps I should take?

I obviously need to develop some sort of lease contract I would imagine along with some sort of security check/ Social Security Number. This is probably something simple but I have never done this before.

Thanks!

HomeGuru

mark1210 said:
What is the name of your state? TX

Hello Everyone,

I need some advice, I recently purchased a home and am thinking of renting out one of my bedrooms. So that I can protect myself, my property and have legal recourse (if needed) what are the steps I should take?

I obviously need to develop some sort of lease contract I would imagine along with some sort of security check/ Social Security Number. This is probably something simple but I have never done this before.

Thanks!
**A: call up any professional rental management company and ask what forms criteria they use, then do the same. Read the L/T law too.

mark1210

HomeGuru--

Thanks, from what I have found so far they use TAA standardized forms and they require a copy of your driver's license, and social. Am I legally allowed to request the same things (D. License and Social) so that I am protected should I need to go after them?

HomeGuru

mark1210 said:
HomeGuru--

Thanks, from what I have found so far they use TAA standardized forms and they require a copy of your driver's license, and social. Am I legally allowed to request the same things (D. License and Social) so that I am protected should I need to go after them?

**A: yes, you should do a verification of employment and a credit report and judgement check. You can even ask for copies of their checking and savings account statements, resume, tax returns, letters of reference from previous landlords/mgt. companies, business references etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">