• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repair Problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shives55

I live in Maryland and my son has just rented a house, today we went in to clean and went to use the tolet and it won't flush, we called the landlord and his remark was (I don't do tolets), doesn't he have to provide a working tolet in this house, he told my son he could do what ever he wanted to the house, treat it like it was his, but come on, we should have a tolet that works when you move in. Hope someone can help.

P

peach

Shives55 i am new at this but was there an agreement between your son and the landlord, that your son do all the repairs himself? Also does you son expect to pay for all the repairs himself? If I were you I would take a picture of all the rooms as they are now and also take pictures of the things that need repairing ,if your son makes purchases for the things he needs to repair things give the receipts for all merchandise to the landlord for repayment to you. Also make copies of the bills for your own safekeeping, alot of times things seem to disappear when you give them to certain landlords. Seems to me you have a lazy landlord, but when rent time comes around they sure want their money, but to fix something they make sure their never around,all landlords are not like that but you seem to have a doozy. Let us know what's going on

Peach

L

LL

You have to check MD law.

Most states have a set of minimum requirements for habitability, and although it may not be explicitly stated, having a working toilet is probably one of them. Thus, the landlord is responsible for fixing the toilet.

However, in many states, the landlord is not required to perform this obligation of habitability if the toilet (or other) malfunction is the fault of the tenant.

So who fixes it? I always run out and fix a habitability item right away, but if it is the tenants' fault, I will charge them for it and argue afterwards. That way, the habitability problem is fixed, and the correct party pays.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">