• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retaliatory Eviction (Oregon)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jgardiner_1

I had an arguement with my room mates. They ended up punching me and I punched one of them back. The one I hit told me I have until the 1st of the month to move out. She says she has talked to the landlord and he has agreed with this decision. Could this be considered retaliatory eviction? Also, can he only evict one person from the rental agreement if all of our names are signed on it? Another thing to add is, she just recently bought a dog after the altercation which does not abide with the agreement. I have not told the landlord about this for fear of further arguements with my room mate. Is it in my best interest to tell him about her dog in hopes that she will be evicted rather than myself? Any other help on this subject would be appreciated.

Who's Liable?

This is not considered "retaliatory" as only the LL can do that... You situation does not meet the criteria...

why didn't you call the police and file an assault charge? That would have gotten them evicted for sure...

On top of that only the LL can evict you, and the tenant can complain all she wants...

If the roommate does have a dog, then do report it, she is the one who is violating the lease...

jgardiner_1

thanks for the help. I didn't think it would be retaliatory, but I though it could be since she is trying to retaliate against me. I didn't contact the police because I made an agreement with he that if I calmed down and we went to counseling meetings, she would not get the LL to evict me. Since then I have not been rude or angry towards anyone in the house, but she informed me last night that she has talked to the LL again about evicting me. I will call him about the dog today. They are also very loud and throw parties without my approval. Maybe the LL will think it is in his best interest to evict them instead of me since I do all the maintenance work like mowing and weeding too. I guess I better start looking for room mates

For gosh sakes are you a weeney or an adult. gee you sound like a child. if You want to know what is going on don't take the room mates word as gospel. sounds like to me that it is a load of bs. talk to the landlord yourself to see for sure what is going on and what has been said. grow up and stand on your own two feet. all of you sound like kids who need to go back to mommy.

jgardiner_1

is it just me or does your reply sound just a bit immature too? if i would have wanted this kind of advice, i would have asked a class full of 3rd graders. i am just simply trying to figure out my options and my rights. i may be young, but i am handling this with the upmost maturity. if am keeping my cool no matter what they do to provoke me. just last night, she had her friend come over and threaten to bet me up, so i called the police to file a complaint so that i have documentation when the landlord does get involved. i would call him myself, but she took the number from me so i can't call him. she will also not let me look at the rental agreement. i would love more than anything to solve this without any outside help, but she is being very unreasonable.

BL

She took the phone # away from you ?

Don't you have your own rooms that are Private ?

Grow some backbone ...

jgardiner_1

privacy means nothing to this girl. her room is the only one with a lock and she came in my room and took the number from where I had it posted on the wall. what do you mean grow some backbone? everything i say to this girl, she interupts with some immature excuse or remark or threat of violence. i can't get anywhere with her. i can't move due to the convenience of it being very close to both my jobs and i don't drive, so i need this house very badly. i would hire a lawyer, but i can't afford it

BL

And between your other Post , have you talked to the Landlord as you were advised .

Have you asked your LL if it's ok to buy and install a Lock on YOUR bedroom door .

Have you considered ignoring this person ?

And Just how if they are evicted can you Afford the Place then ?

jgardiner_1

i am unable to talk to the LL because i don't have the phone # anymore

i ignore her every day so that i don't get out of control myself, but i would still like some resolution to this situation.

i will be able to afford the place myself just fine. i work 70-80 hours per week. i am paid very well at one job and am using the second job to get a season pass at a ski resort, but it may have to go to rent instead. i could also look for new room mates

BL

jgardiner_1 said:
i am unable to talk to the LL because i don't have the phone # anymore

i ignore her every day so that i don't get out of control myself, but i would still like some resolution to this situation.

i will be able to afford the place myself just fine. i work 70-80 hours per week. i am paid very well at one job and am using the second job to get a season pass at a ski resort, but it may have to go to rent instead. i could also look for new room mates
I have not told the landlord about this for fear of further arguements with my room mate. Is it in my best interest to tell him about her dog in hopes that she will be evicted rather than myself?
From Org. Post .

Now , how did you plan on contacting the LL re: the dog ?

Look into your Tax Dept's , Etc . to see Who the Owner is , and Tel . # .

If you Can't , won't or are unable , you'll just have to wait and see If the LL takes you to Court .

jgardiner_1

i didn't know about the phone # until i got home that night, but your suggestion on how to get the # might help. since i have already been in contact with the police, maybe they can tell me how to get ahold of him.

who knows though, the LL might not even have to get into this. if the harassment keeps going on, i will be taking her to court and she will be out for sure.

thanks for the help

hey there

I assume you know how to use the net. if you know LL name then look for a phone number under a phone directory site. if I was your landlord I would evict all of you. usually when there is problems with people not getting along in an apt the Landlord will evict everyone. by the way the cops are not going to do your job for you by looking up Landlord's contact info they have better things to do like write tickets, arrest criminals to be your gophers. the reason she is doing this to you is because she can get away with it.

i may be young, but i am handling this with the upmost maturity.
doesn't sound like it to me from your original post when you mentioned the fight.

You may be young and trying to figure out what to do but like I said before you need to grow up instead of sounding like a helpless weeney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">