• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

retalitory eviction-day in court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jrwneedshelp

this is jrw in California, went to court yesterday for the unlawful detainer action (read first post for all the gory details) anyway, settled before seeing the judge, I have 45 days to move, a GREAT recomendation in writing, reserved my right to sue for the rent abatement and warrenty of habitability issues, etc in small claims court (building inspector cited them for 3 violations on the 18th)listed the duplex "substandard housing" and had the airconditioner checked yesterday, no freeon again, and they removed some debis (said it wasn't there last month, leaves, etc, hard to believe)still 90 degrees in here, but the monkey is off my back and I have time to get the heck out of here and find a good place to live. The only reason I settled was I had hoped the judge would rule on the rent abatement issue but in each case before mine, she referred them to small claims court for that, refused to discuss, since I just wanted my name cleared and time a reasonable amount of time to get out of here, and because didn't have a lawyer I felt it was the best way to go for me, not necessarily for any of you. Manager also agreed that if I have found a place and it is not yet ready in the next 30 days, he will let me stay till it is. Out and out told me that I was a great tenant but shouldn't have called the building inspector as all the airconditioners are old and work the same way, in effect, he punished me. Just glad it is over and I can now concentrat on getting out of here.
AFTER I am moved I will file the small claims action. Thank you sincerely to all who gave their time, advice and support. if you have any suggestions on the small claims suit I would appreciate it.
Sincerely,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">