• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Return of Rent Deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1tenant

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I want to write a letter, to my landlord he awes me money for the deposit since August. Deposit was given 10 years ago. No problems in the apartment and he gave me his word for its return. some months later nothing. I want to write a letter.

My question is what is the interest rate on the deposit if any?
I heard by law it needs to be in an interest baring account.

and

What are the NY laws cited on rent deposit and its returned?
As I recall I heard it was 31 days by law to return.

Gail in Georgia

The attached includes a review of the security deposit requirements in New York. Required interest is based on prevailing rates which have likely varied quite a bit during the last decade:

NYC Rent Guidelines Board

New York, unlike most other states, does not have a specific time frame when security deposits/information on the status of such must be provided to the former tenant. The only requirement is that this be done within a "reasonable" amount of time.

Gail

You Are Guilty

"Reasonable" is a bit of a gray area, but barring any unusual circumstances, it means 1 month. If there is something unusual going on (say, a bankruptcy proceeding), then all bets are off.

As for interest, it depends on how many units the LL was renting (no interest if less than 6).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">