• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

return of security deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

inwon03

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I recently moved out of my apartment. Out of $2000 security deposit, my landlord returned $660. He admits the carpet being old, but charged me $300 for carpet lifting. Isn't that normal wear and tear on old carpet? Should I have been charged that much?

He also got a quote of $750 to paint the place. I lived there for almost a year and a half. Should he be charging me the full price of the paint job?

Pleas advise.

Gail in Georgia

If you disagree with the amount kept, you write a demand letter disputing this amount and "demanding" the return of what you believe is a fair share by a certain date.

If the landlord/management refuses or does not acknowledge this, your next step is to consider a lawsuit.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">