• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

returning keys after notice has been given

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Steveo1409

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

the state i live in is ohio

about a year ago i left my old apartment. i lived there for a little over a year. i left the residence on the agreed day of the 30 day's notice (september 30th). about 2 weeks later i returned my apartment keys. about 3 months later i received a notice that the company was suing me because i hadnt paid rent for october. i went to the main office to see what was going on. i was told that they are charging me for october's rent because i didnt give the keys back in time. they also said that they don't pro-rate rent, so they even charged me rent for a full month. i was then told by one of the managers in the main office that because i had left on the agreed upon date that the apartment was technically no longer mine after i left. it doesnt matter if i had the keys because they have the right to change the locks and deduct that from my security deposit.
regardless if that information was correct or not i called their lawyer. i tried calling her many of times over the course of that month. i left her many messages explaining the situation with no response. i hadnt heard anything about the situation ever since. so i assumed she got the message and the case was dropped. a year has gone by since and about 2 weeks ago i received a service paper from the apartments stating that i havent paid them rent still.
do i still owe them a full months rent even though i left on proper terms? this has been over a year old issue. and i had called their lawyer multiple times and have had no responses from her. do i have a case at all?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

the state i live in is ohio

about a year ago i left my old apartment. i lived there for a little over a year. i left the residence on the agreed day of the 30 day's notice (september 30th). about 2 weeks later i returned my apartment keys. about 3 months later i received a notice that the company was suing me because i hadnt paid rent for october. i went to the main office to see what was going on. i was told that they are charging me for october's rent because i didnt give the keys back in time. they also said that they don't pro-rate rent, so they even charged me rent for a full month. i was then told by one of the managers in the main office that because i had left on the agreed upon date that the apartment was technically no longer mine after i left. it doesnt matter if i had the keys because they have the right to change the locks and deduct that from my security deposit.
regardless if that information was correct or not i called their lawyer. i tried calling her many of times over the course of that month. i left her many messages explaining the situation with no response. i hadnt heard anything about the situation ever since. so i assumed she got the message and the case was dropped. a year has gone by since and about 2 weeks ago i received a service paper from the apartments stating that i havent paid them rent still.
do i still owe them a full months rent even though i left on proper terms? this has been over a year old issue. and i had called their lawyer multiple times and have had no responses from her. do i have a case at all?
**A: yes you do have a case. Is it good or bad? Heck we don't know. Please explain the "service paper"; were those court documents?

OHRoadwarrior

So what was the final accounting, factoring in the security deposit? If they come after you for money, wait until it goes to court and present your side. You had the option to go after them, when they failed to return your security deposit and did not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">