• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Returning keys to landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fawn77777

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine. Is it permissible for the tenant ( me ) to leave the keys in the locked apartment when lease is ended and tenant moves out, if the tenant calls the landlord the same day and notifies him that the keys are there and where? This is how I did it. Is this an acceptable way to return the keys if the landlord lives in another building and has a key himself? I lived in an apartment for 12 ys with no problems and no late payments. The apartments got a new landord who hallers and is direspectful to tentants so I moved. Now the landlord says keys weren't there even though another tenant was with me and saw me leave the keys. Landlord just screams at me and won't listen when talked to.

CA LL

What does it say in your lease and/or any other written agreement re: the key return? As asked above, it is always advisable to return keys in person if possible (seems no reason why this was not possible) to avoid this type of conflict. Especially in a situation where you don't like/trust the LL as you must have known it might be an issue.

fawn77777

I lived in a complex that has 200 apartments. The landord does have key and went in . She didn't go in until 28 days after I movedout. She said keys were not where I put them. ( I never dreamed somone would lie about something like this). Mainteance people all have keys to my apartment and go in when I am not there. Landlord charged me $35 for not returning keys to my one and only door to my apartment.

LearnedHand

I charge $50 for un-returned keys

When the keys disappear, they could be in the possession of anyone, including burglars, rapists etc.

Were I the LL, I would charge for a change of locks, for new tenants are not safe with keys out there...

I change locks a lot, to keep my tenants safe....

Its not the cost of the Key, its value is that it lets the holder into the Unit.

Un-accounted for keys are not safe !

You lose !

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">