• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

right to peaceful enjoyment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cassiem75

What is the name of your state?Virginia

I am sorry But my problem is pretty lengthly...

My father is renting a mobile home. The owner of this mobile home lives out of state. His brother is the "manager" of this property for him. When my father rented this property last month it was agreed upon that the property be cleaned, carpets shampooed, painted(curse words wrote on walls), and everything fixed. This included to broken windows, leaking sink drains, unfastened carpet, tile, and the other load, noisy, parting neighbors will be moved out......and so forth.
My father went ahead and moved in thinking that this would be done within the first month. (no security deposits, only verbal contracts.)
Month 2 is here and nothing has been done. The neighbors are still there and I had to hire someone to come and clean the property for my father(who is a disabled senior citizen). We have talked to the "manager" of the property about the things he said he would do and he only got upset...so we called the owner... the owner was very upset that nothing had been done. He stated the "manager" was supposed to took the 1st months rent and fixed everything...he told us he would be in the second week of June. He said he would get someone to fix it while he is here and for us to hang on untill then..which was fine, because we know he will do as he says.
THE PROBLEM....
The "manager" is a very bad drunk. He started bothering my father for the rent 3 days before it was due...2 to 3 times a day...
When my father paid it he asked the manager if he could refund my money for hiring someone to clean. With this the manager got very rude and cursed my father. He stated that he would have someone there Monday to do the work on the house my father told him that he had spoken to the owner and he told him that he would do it when he came in. This upset him more...and told my father HE would be there Monday to fix it and when it was done he would then owe him a $100.00 deposit and if he did not like it then he could move. Well, another call to the owner was made.
The owner said he did not want the manager to touch his prpoerty like he said before. He stated my father did not owe a security deposit and he did not want him to move. He stated he would call his "manager" and straighten it out. This was fine...
THE OTHER PROBLEM.....
The next day the "manager" comes to the property drunk, with 3 more drunk carpenters in tow. These other three had chain saws, skills saws...and the such in tow...they was going to go into the property and fix the broken windows (which are little bedroom windows) by taking the chain saws to cut the windows out of the mobile home and replacing them with HUGE PITURE windows...well, of course my father refused. the "manager" got very rude, verbally abusing my father, threathing him, and was in his face. When I heard this I ran there....I told him that what he was doing was against the law. That he was told to leave the property alone....that my father had paid his rent and he had the "right to peaceful enjoyment of the property". I told him that my father had not had this since he moved in. I told him he needed to leave now. I told was drunk and was being a bother to everyone in the neighborhood and we were tired of it. (I did not know it at the time but the neighbors had called the law on him before I arrived there.) He went with the other men to the neighbors house, there he would step out every few minutes to yell and curse everyone. The Police stated they could not do anything but tell him to stay inside the premises he was at and leave my father alone. My questions are...

What happened to being drunk in public?
What happened to the verbal abuse and threat law?
Can my father take out a no trespassing warrant on the "manager"?
What can my father do if this happens again since he is the "manager" of the property?
He stated that he would come in and fix it when there is noone there. What happens if this is done?
What other steps can we take to make sure the owner fixes all of the problems?
Any other advice would be appreciated.

HomeGuru

cassiem75 said:
What is the name of your state?Virginia

My questions are...

What happened to being drunk in public?

**A: nothing.

What happened to the verbal abuse and threat law?

**A: it stiil exists.
Can my father take out a no trespassing warrant on the "manager"?

**A: no, but he can file a TRO.
What can my father do if this happens again since he is the "manager" of the property?

**A: see above.
He stated that he would come in and fix it when there is noone there. What happens if this is done?

**A: read the L/T law.
What other steps can we take to make sure the owner fixes all of the problems?
Any other advice would be appreciated.

**A: see above.

JETX

And I add the following:
"What other steps can we take to make sure the owner fixes all of the problems?"
*** Quit being lazy and relying on verbal and phone calls. Insist that the OWNER confirm all the promises in writing. Otherwise, you have nothing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">