• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right to rent abatement for no heat & dangerous conditions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alaska landlord

You should fix whatever code violations and continue to find a buyer. If you intend to keep your complex, it might be in your best interest to find a way to evict your tenant without it appearing to be a retaliatory measure. Your tenant is an activist and her “win” in court has given her a sense of empowerment. It is likely that you will continue to have state inspections brought about by your activist tenant. One option that presents itself is to raise rents unilaterally on all your tenants that have comparable apts to state maximum allowable levels. Perhaps she will find the rental unaffordable. Another is to wait till enough time has passed by so that suspicion of a retaliatory eviction will be difficult to prove

rareair03

You should fix whatever code violations and continue to find a buyer. If you intend to keep your complex, it might be in your best interest to find a way to evict your tenant without it appearing to be a retaliatory measure. Your tenant is an activist and her “win” in court has given her a sense of empowerment. It is likely that you will continue to have state inspections brought about by your activist tenant. One option that presents itself is to raise rents unilaterally on all your tenants that have comparable apts to state maximum allowable levels. Perhaps she will find the rental unaffordable. Another is to wait till enough time has passed by so that suspicion of a retaliatory eviction will be difficult to prove
Are you for real?? Your answers just get more comical with every posting.

Now I am an activist for not allowing a landlord to walk all over me. And I should be evicted at first chance?

Alaska landlord

You are still not getting it. What I posted is what could happen to you.

It is even possible the new owners will ask for and receive a list of problem tenants and you will be listed. Every landlord with multiple units keeps a list of problem past and present tenants that he will not rent to. Sometimes we even share with the competition.

rareair03

Why am I a problem tenant for requesting heat!!!? You are not getting it! I had NO HEAT and leaking dangerous furnace for one year!
Yes , I understand he can try to evict me..he can give me a 30 day notice. I might get a corrupt judge who belongs to the HE MAN tenant haters club. You are a landlord...I understand.The big powerful landlord.While we the little people are at your mercy!

Stop referring to me as a problem tenant/activist. Please keep your postings factual. The real problem here is a landlord who feels he is above the law. I am going to show him he is NOT above the law. I am entitled to heat and working gas. He is entitled to get his rent on time every month.

It really does not matter anymore ,I have decided to move to Alaska....got any rental property available? Sure hope your rentals have HEAT!:D

Alaska landlord

Fill out an application and I will contact you real soon. I will need a referral from your present landlord. I will also be checking rental history,court records, employment history, and salary verification. I do not accept section 8.

Alaska landlord

You're still not getting it.

My response is what most landlords will reply with. If you intend to fight, then you should consider the effects. Base your decision on all possible outcomes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">