• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights after death of auto loan cosigner?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ArlynB

What is the name of your state? California

I have been making payments on an Credit Union auto loan for 3-1/2 years which required I have a co-signer. My co-signer died recently. Her daughter survives her. The daughter lives in Florida. Unsure if she is aware of this loan as I have not heard anything from her. I am still making payments but would like to trade in my vehicle to a lot that will not require a co-signer; or sell it outright. Can I do that without involving the surviving daughter? Credit Union is not aware of the death of the co-signer. Am I obligated to tell them? Thank you.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ArlynB said:
What is the name of your state? California

I have been making payments on an Credit Union auto loan for 3-1/2 years which required I have a co-signer. My co-signer died recently. Her daughter survives her. The daughter lives in Florida. Unsure if she is aware of this loan as I have not heard anything from her. I am still making payments but would like to trade in my vehicle to a lot that will not require a co-signer; or sell it outright. Can I do that without involving the surviving daughter? Credit Union is not aware of the death of the co-signer. Am I obligated to tell them? Thank you.

My response:

If you can tell me what this has to do with "landlord / tenant" law, and why you needed to post this 3 times on these forums, I'll answer your questions.

Make you answers "good ones".

IAAL

A

ArlynB

My apologies!!!! Writing from work--definitely clicked on the wrong subject matter when it came to the Real Estate Law. Not sure whether it should have been posted under Bankruptcy or Contract so did both (yes, on purpose).

Please help! Thank you.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ArlynB said:
My apologies!!!! Writing from work--definitely clicked on the wrong subject matter when it came to the Real Estate Law. Not sure whether it should have been posted under Bankruptcy or Contract so did both (yes, on purpose).

Please help! Thank you.

My response:

Stop stealing your employer's time. Get off the Internet and do your job. Then, after 6:00 p.m., write back to say you're using YOUR OWN home computer, and I'll respond to your questions.

IAAL

A

ArlynB

You are assuming that I am not allowed to write during my lunch or break and that I am stealing time. A VERY BAD assumption. I was in a hurry as to try to get this posted to be able to respond if I needed to. So, please do not assume guilt.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ArlynB said:
You are assuming that I am not allowed to write during my lunch or break and that I am stealing time. A VERY BAD assumption. I was in a hurry as to try to get this posted to be able to respond if I needed to. So, please do not assume guilt.

My response:

Don't argue with me. I don't like it when people argue with the one that can help them, namely me.

Now, if you want to pay your own attorney for your answers, that's fine. Argue with that person. But, don't argue with me.

Write back after 6:00 p.m.

IAAL

A

ArlynB

If I had a working computer at home, I would have written after 6:00 p.m., per your KIND suggestion. I don't need your help that bad to put up with YOUR self-righteous crap. Have gone elsewhere and received a RESPECTFUL response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">