• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights for Final Inspection in NJ Rental

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mjessie77

I am renting in NJ. My landlord just told me for safety reasons I am not allowed at the final inspection. I'd like to know if by law they can forbid me from being at final inspection. I know it varies state to state, so if anyone knows specifically for NJ, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

LdiJ

I am renting in NJ. My landlord just told me for safety reasons I am not allowed at the final inspection. I'd like to know if by law they can forbid me from being at final inspection. I know it varies state to state, so if anyone knows specifically for NJ, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
Personally, I think that your landlord is full of it, but rather than fight with him you would at least want to take lots and lots of time/date stamped pictures showing the condition of absolutely everything at move out. Take a picture of the inside of the fridge, the inside of the stove, the inside of the microwave (if there is one) every wall in every room, the carpet in every room. Every aspect of the bathroom(s), etc.

FarmerJ

I know that NJ tenant law is more tenant friendly compared to other states but unless your state laws have granted tenants the right to be at a so called final inspection then tenants do not have a automatic right to be present If you did not take exit photos of the unit and even bigger yet pictures at the start of the tenancy as well then even if a landlord were not fair with deposit funds tenant would be able to not only show what the unit looked like at the beginning of the tenancy but show its wear and tear and then how nice and clean they left every thing, personally if I was me doing the inspection with the tenant I wouldn't say squat to the tenant about any thing I saw if I was alone , I think the idea of having to do a final inspection with a tenant is asinine and a great way for a tenant who already might be a violent person or off their rocker to take it out on the landlord

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">