• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rights of landlord to enter home without permission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dellmiss

we have been renting a trailer in ohio for almost two years. i looked in the contract and found nothing about when/if the landlord can enter the home without prior permission. we had a widstorm the other day that knocked out the power from saturday til monday. in the mean time, the water pipes froze, so my husband turned the water on in the bathroom sink so if the water began to thaw, it would begin running. he said he thought he only turned it on to drip, but the landlord said he didn't....that he turned it on full power.

any way...first question is.....we live in town so the landlord has agreed to pay the water bill. he put a meter on our water usage, so he knows exactly how much water we use in a day. is that legal? he has called a few times, usually on days i have done several loads of laundry ,and wanted to know why we used so much water that day.

second.....the day the pipes froze, the landlord came over the morning that the electric was restored, and we were not home b/c i had stayed with my children at a friend's house b/c of having no heat. The landlord looked at the water meter and said it was "running like crazy" so he got his key and came in to the house to see why there was water running. he said the water in the bathroom, that my husband said turned on very low, was running full force, and the time between when the water thawed and he came in to the house, we use almost 500 gallons of water. my question is.....is he allowed to just enter the premises without first getting a hold of us and letting us know...and IF we did use that amount of water b/c my husband made a mistake by turning on the water to get it to thaw more quickly, are we liable for the cost of that water?

R

rentertoo

Why Not call the water company and ask if you use 500 gallons of water more,then your usual amount, what would it cost?

I bet they say less then $5......

so why not buy the landlord a six pack of beer and call it even.

Cvillecpm

Almost all states allow a rental property owner to enter a property in case of an emergency. You should have handled the water/drip situation and advised the landlord that you were leaving the property.

Yes, the landlord did what was correct to protect the trailer and your belongings - even if you did not.

Not only should you buy landlord a sixpack - send him a thank you note.

R

rentertoo

I waz wrong boy was i wrong.............

The actual charge for water in NYC is 1.35 per 100 cu ft, and 100 cu ft equals 748 gallons....

SO GIVING THE LANDLORD A SIX PACK OF BEER IS VASTLY OVERPAYING HIM....

ONE CAN WOULD BE JUST ABOUT RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

All this harassment over the price of a can of beer ....what a stupid lowlife dumb asss REDNECK landlord you have!

Last edited:

Ladynred

"right of entry"

TN.
What about entry when there is NO emergency ?? My landlord claims they have 'right of entry' for any reason ! However, in reading my lease, this is a blatant lie.

I have found out that they have been in and out of my apartment for no apparent reason, and I've NEVER received ANY notice of their intrusion. As far as I'm concerned, they are violating my right to privacy and, according to the lease, they are violationg their own terms !

The lease states that "repairmen, servicemen, or Lessor's representatives may peacefully enter the Apartment during reasonable times for the following purposes: responding to resident's request ( I didn't request anything), repairs (there were none), estimating repairs or refurbishing costs (this was last summer so they couldn't use this as if I was ready to move out), pest control (nope), preventative maintenance (nope), filter changes (they don't do this either, I do !), retrieving tools or appliances, preventing waste of utilities (nothing valid there either, and they don't care since I pay ALL utilities including water), exercising contractual lien (none), leaving notices (they didn't), delivering, installing, reconnecting or replacing appliances........."

The lease also states that if no one is in the apt, then their 'representatives' may enter if "written notice of such entry is left in a conspicuous place in the apartment immediately thereafter". They came and went as they pleased and NEVER left me any notice that they had been there !

It goes on, but nothing applies to their entries into my apartment. I suppose they could claim anything they wanted, but they would all be lies. They leave notices when the exterminator will be entering, I have no problem with that. They also left notice that the chimney cleaners would be entering to clean the chimney before cold weather came, I didn't have any problem with that either.

Do I have any recourse here ? I've checked the state laws on tenants and leases, and the law states that they CANNOT enter whenever they please. I don't like their intrusions into my home when there is NO reason for them to be there.

Thanks !

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">