• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rights when you find bedbugs in your apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

magn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MASSACHUSETTS
I moved into a condo 5 months ago, with a 1 year lease and now have found bedbugs. We heard from maintence that they were not aware of whether the condo owner had the unit cleaned before we moved in. The previous tenants were of Indian/Pakastan decent and left abuptly. We had to throw out our bed and other items. An exterminator came in and treated the unit this month. We just oved back in, purchased a new bed and within 1 day we have found 6 bedbugs- on the walls and on our new bed. The landlord denies any responsibility and is being argumentive. Our rent is due in 2 weeks, but since we had to move out during treatment (12/28-1/13) we do not feel we should pay rent for that time. What are my rights? Can we break the lease? Is he responsible for any of our expenses incured because of this? We moved into this unit from our repective family homes and know that WE did not bring in the bedbugs, but the landlord says he is not responsible for our problem.

FarmerJ

Call your city inspections desk tell them of your problem and ask them if there is a city ord that requires the LL to deal with this.

Proseguru

I don't see any racist tone here. And I'm of the most discriminated race ever (I still laugh at Blazing Saddles talking about who they would and would not let into their town).

I would say that the LL is responsible; just like if rats were there. How responsible is another question .. responsible to take care of the issue once noted or 100% responsible for everything?

Other tenants discussing this issue? Bedbugs are hard to get rid of.

Hot Topic

And if you're going to imply that the bedbugs were the result of the person's ethic background, at least spell it right. It's Pakistan.

OP, what you "feel" is not important. What counts is what the law says.

HomeGuru

And if you're going to imply that the bedbugs were the result of the person's ethic background, at least spell it right. It's Pakistan.

OP, what you "feel" is not important. What counts is what the law says.
**A: on the contrary; feel is important like the OP feeling bites from the bedbugs.

xylene

Throwing away your mattress is stupid.

It does nothing.

It is a waste of money in treating bedbugs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">