• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ripped Off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caddy1031

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York.

I have a question, and I am not sure if anyone can help. It does deal with a landloard issue.

A month ago I was looking to lease a house in the Syracuse, NY area. I signed the lease, wrote a check for the deposit and 1st month's rent. Met with the home owner, and pretty much was just waiting for him to move out. A couple of days later someone broke into my car and stole my credit cards and checkbook. The bank told me that I needed to cancel everything, and close my checking account. I notified the realtor and the homeowner what had happened, and asked the home owner if he had deposited the check. I explained to him why I was asking, and told him I would call my bank to see if it had cleared. When I notified the bank they told me that the account was closed, but they would issue me a letter explaining what I had happened.

I called the home owner and explained again and told him I would have a police report and a letter from the bank explaining what had happened and I would be any fees his bank put on him, plus cover the check which was $2500.00.

A week goes by an no word from the realtor or the home owner. Then I get a letter from the realtor's attorney saying I owed them (home owner/realtor) $1235 for the check I had wrote. Something about 3 days rent I was charged, the realtor fee and bank charges.

I called their attorney and explained everything again and talked the realtor. I told them I was still interested in renting the property and I have no problem paying what they said I owed plus the securty the security desposit.

The realtor told me that the home owner would not entertain that thought until I paid what the letter stated. I went to the realtor office paid the amount they asked, and said I can just as easy pay the 1st month rent. At that time I was told that the property had been rented already. And they showed me the door.

This was a month ago, and the house is still be listed as available for rent, and I have proof that is has not been rented out.

Do I have any recourse here of jsut SOL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">