• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roach Invasion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pshark555

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have lived at this complex for almost five years and in the last two years 11/20/2007-present we have had to have our apartment fumigated for roaches a whopping five times. The most recent fumigation was on 8/04/2009 and within two weeks we were seeing them again indoors and out. In addition we have had to have them come spray our patio area three times since 8/04/2009. In addition to that are the countless cans of Raid and a professional pesticide we have used to try and keep them at bay. Obviously whatever they are doing is not working. There are 3 other apartments in my building and either the bugs live with one or more of my neighbors or they are coming from the mind numbingly filthy garbage receptacle areas one of which is feet from my patio. Perhaps both. I complained to a maintenance worker on 8/31/2009 when he was here fixing something and I showed him the bugs I had killed since they fumigated. (I have saved them in Ziploc for proof if needed) He told me that the fumigation is a service they provide and they do not really need to offer it. He went on to say that they cannot do more than ask my neighbors if they have a problem with bugs. I quote "I ask people if they have problems with bugs and sometimes they say no and when they move we find the place infested" He basically told me if I couldn't deal with it I could move. I was also informed that since the complex was at 95% capacity it did not matter if I moved, someone else would move right in. We keep our home clean and do not leave trash, recyclables, food or dirty dishes lying about. I have been keeping anything from crackers to pnut butter in my fridge for months. All food is in sealed packages or airtight containers. I keep getting the run around from the management office and have contacted the corporate offices. They need to tent this building and clean up the garbage receptacle areas. Yes they will be dirty and smelly I know but 3 inch gooey dirt encrusting the walls and ground is unacceptable. They painted in January and you can see where they painted over the crud. What are my options here?
Thank you for your time.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Cvillecpm

Give notice and move....your neighbors are not following clean and sanitary housekeeping habits and I suspect the property owner is tired of paying when residents do not cooperate

pshark555

Thank you for your reply.
I neglected to state that moving is not an option at this point. Financially it is unfeasible.

Gail in Georgia

Roaches are, unfortunately, a common problem in a setting where one tenant may be quite clean but others who live around them are not.

The problem you have is not that management has been ignoring the issue; they have provided fumigation on a fairly regular basis. If management had ignored your requests, you might have some legal leverage here.

Gail

Hot Topic

When an apartment is fumigated, the roaches simply run to another apartment, wait for the fumes to subside, then come back.

You need bait traps that kill not only the adults but the eggs.

If, however, you have neighbors who are indifferent about cleaning and storage, you're fighting a losing battle.

pshark555

Oh how clever...however I dont think i will be metamorphosing into a roach anytime soon. Honestly what is wrong with people? I am trying to get some advice for a problem. I thought that was what this site was for or perhaps I read it wrong. Let me look**************.No it says free advice.
If I was able to make moving a feasible option I would not have searched the internet endlessly for answers or posted my query here.
I am one of the many people who have been laid off from my job and have been trying to live off unemployment which runs out in exactly 3 weeks. Every penny I have has paid this months rent, water, trash, electric, gas, car insurance and groceries. So like I said NOT FEASIBLE.

Alaska landlord

Your problem is not the LL. You need to get together with your neighbors and talk about proper house cleaning measures you can all adhere to. If you feed the roaches they will come. One roach can give birth to about 36 or more roaches! you need to take some responsibility and assist in getting rid of th roaches instead of putting it all on the LL.

slwx

not a legal expert -- but this isn't legal advice

there is a white powder called boric acid -- it's pretty cheap
it comes in about a quart sized bottle with a squeeze tube at the top.
buy several bottles and put a powder barrier around the inside & outside of your walls, and if you have any cracks in your cabinets, countertops, anywhere they could get in, put some there too.

we have pets so fumigating isn't a good option for us. when we moved in our house, we had roaches that we didn't see during the home inspections -- the house smelled like they had sprayed for termites so maybe that spraying brought them up into the rest of the house? or maybe they got them between inspection & closing? who knows, but the house was full of them. within a month of putting out the boric acid everywhere, they were gone.

boric acid can be diluted & used as an eye wash i believe -- so it's pretty safe. i don't know how well this will work in an apartment situation, but it has to help some.

pshark555

I agree our LL is not the problem however, LL said the other 3 apartments are not having a problem and I am finding that hard to swallow. Our patio is connected to my neighbors and I do not think roaches see a wooden fence as a barrier. I am starting to feel crazy. I have been killing on average 6 a day on my patio. I have sealed the cracks in the cement around my patio doors as well as around the apartment and that seems to have helped with them entering. They have not as of yet moved indoors thanks to my efforts. I just want the entire building properly fumigated at the same time and have our trash areas cleaned up.. I do not think I am being unreasonable.

Alaska landlord

If you have any difficulty finding boric acid, try your local feed store. If you follow directions you can form a barrier around your home.

xxgrzesx

Since you are low income person you should qualify for help from pro-bono attorney. Perform the search on internet for pro bono attorney at your city and contact them. Another thing is that you can call city inspector. Since LL performed all you described it seems that they tried to resolve the problem, but your neighbors do not mind roaches. The bottom line is that you are entitled to roach free apartment and they have to somehow remove them.

Searchertwin

Since you are low income person you should qualify for help from pro-bono attorney. Perform the search on internet for pro bono attorney at your city and contact them. Another thing is that you can call city inspector. Since LL performed all you described it seems that they tried to resolve the problem, but your neighbors do not mind roaches. The bottom line is that you are entitled to roach free apartment and they have to somehow remove them.

You are wrong that the bottom line is that you are entitled to a roach free apartment. Can you guarantee that it will be roach free? Will you let them live there rent free if they continue to have roaches? I think not. Can you control ants? Can you control mold? Can you predict the weather for them also if they have a rainy day or they feel blue??:rolleyes:
As long as the LL tries to remedy the situation doing what he can do to HELP prevent the situation, that is all that he can do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">