• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was robbed -- landlord security responsibility?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pbchrist

California --

I live in Venice, CA. Last week, I was broken into. Nothing was taken, because I scared the guy off. I, and the cops believe he most likely entered through a window. When I told my landlord about this, he told me to put dowel rods in the windows, and replace a screen in a window that is without one. Fine and good, but I also want him to replace the windowlocks that have either been painted over, or are non-existent. Five in total. And, per the suggestion of the officer on the scene, I should have chain-locks installed. There is a non-working chain lock on the front door, and there are two other doors, both without chain locks. So we would need three chain locks. Is it the landlords responsibility under section 1941 of the California Civil Code to replace any or all of the above items? Or is there some other civil code that covers this? Can I get him to pay for a motion detector too?

On a side note, do any of you know if lack of window locks would make my renters insurance null and void if anything was to be taken in the future, and would it bear weight on landlord responsibility if renters insurance reimbursement was contingent on having working window locks in particular?

Any and all help would be appreciated.What is the name of your state?

xylene

You accepted the apartment, I suggest you talk to code enforcement if you believe the landlord is committing a violation.

Go to home depot and buy window jacks or a similar window locking device. They are very inexpensive and they will be yours to keep. They are like 'dowels' on steroids that adjust to fit nearly any window and clamp down into position with great force.

Window latches are very easy to defeat using a putty knife or other thin blade. Basically useless.

Use window jacks on every window. Even if latchable. They are nearly impossible to defeat short of destroying the window.

A huge advantage is the window can be tightly secured even in an open position.

Your landlord has zero responsibility to install a motion detector.

Talk to your insurer about these security issues and their impact on your coverage.

Last edited:

Alaska landlord

Your landlord responsibility is to provide you a door with a lock and windows that open and close. For under 20 bucks all your problems can be resolved if you follow the other posters advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">