• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

roof leaks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

prokni

What is the name of your state? Ca

I am a landlord and I have a condo. HOA is responsible for fixing roof leaks. My condo has been having roof leak problem for last two years and HOA has been fixing/patching. The problem comes back. My tenenat knows about the problem and has been with me for the last 3 yeards. Two months ago I gave her a notice since I could not get HOA to change the roof and the problem was becoming the headache for me. She signed the contract originaly and declined to get the tenet insurance for her property. Now she is leaving, she is planning to sue me for the damage of the roof leak.
1 - How does it work here? HOA is responsible for the charge but at some point I am in charge for fixing the roof for the tenant.
2 - Can she claim the damage?

ENASNI

1 - How does it work here? HOA is responsible for the charge but at some point I am in charge for fixing the roof for the tenant.
2 - Can she claim the damage?
You as the landlord are responsible for taking care of your tenant's repairs. Your HOA is resonsible for taking care of your condo's roof.

Tenant sues you, you sue Condo association. Busy time in California courts. :cool:

Judge might not even give tenant the judgement, because she should have had renter's insurance.

prokni

Thanks for the info.
Tenent renewed the agreement on Jan even though she knew about the problem. I told her that she can leave anytime but now she is saying that verbaly I told her that I will fix it myself and will sue the HOA. I never said it that way. Two weeks ago after she was lareayd foud place tomove out, casualy we were talking about it and I told her that this is another option but i have ot fix it before selling the house since I am not planning to keep the condo that has this kindof HOA. Now she is saying that she satayed because she was under the impressoin that we will fix it ourself and then get the money from HOA. Anything she can do? How can I prove that I did not say such as thing directly and also I never said anything before she renewed the contract on Jan.

ecmst12

ENASNI said:
Judge might not even give tenant the judgement, because she should have had renter's insurance.
Shouldn't that not matter because the renter's insurance could still sue the LL for damages if the tenant had it?

ENASNI

ecmst12 said:
Shouldn't that not matter because the renter's insurance could still sue the LL for damages if the tenant had it?

All moot... I really don't like to do hypotheticals. :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">