• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roomate broke lease wants money back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

darkrider

State - California

My roomate broke our 12 months lease in May. She gave her months notice to our Landlord May 30 and paid June’s rent, he then moved out June 1. I managed to find someone to take over his lease obligations and move in. He is now claiming that since someone is living there he wants half of his June’s rent back and the security deposit. I replied saying I will give him his half of the deposit when the original lease ends (Nov.) and he wont be receiving half of June’s rent as I was forced to find someone to take over and he had to give the one months notice/payment.
Does he have a case?

Last edited:

FarmerJ

you have not said when the new person moved in, no double dip allowed, if you had new person move in say on 6/10 then prorated rent refund is due. Deposit , new person should buy it out and it should have been paid on move in date. Unless you can prove former roomate did damage that comes to that amount , meaning LL has repaired it and sent to you a bill.

Who's Liable?

State - California

My roomate broke our 12 months lease in May. She gave her months notice to our Landlord May 30 and paid June’s rent, he then moved out June 1.
That was nice of them, however without your SIGNED consent, they cannot be removed from your lease as it has been altered. All alterations of the lease MUST be agreed upon by ALL SIGNED parties.

I managed to find someone to take over his lease obligations and move in. He is now claiming that since someone is living there he wants half of his June’s rent back and the security deposit.
He is partially right. He is entitled to a pro-rated portion of this rent for the time the room was occupied.

I replied saying I will give him his half of the deposit when the original lease ends (Nov.)
You are correct. The deposit is returned when the lease is terminated. However how are you going to collect if the new roommate damages anything?

and he wont be receiving half of June’s rent as I was forced to find someone to take over and he had to give the one months notice/payment.
Does he have a case?
He has a case for a pro-rated portion of this rent for the time a new person moved in.

Sounds to me - although it certainly isn't clear - like roomie paid rent to the landlord, rather than to the OP. If that's the case, then roomie would need to seek her refund from the landlord.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">