• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate did not pay the gas bill (in her name). Demands I pay half the bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SigurPol

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Between my roommate and I, we split up some of the bills to our apartment. I have the electric bill in my name, and my roommate has the gas bill in her name. She has a bad habit of not getting in touch with me when I remind her to tell me how much the bill for the gas would be that month. She's hardly ever around.

In may, I noticed an envelop on our table addressed to my roommates name with some kind of "10 day notice" on it. I couldn't tell what it was, and wasn't about to open it.

About 10 days later, the gas was shut off. She finally got in touch with me about it, crying, admitting that she didn't pay it. A few days later, she kept saying "we" didn't pay the bill.

She's been putting off paying this bill and has now roped me into paying half of this bill with her. I refuse to give her the money since I'm on time with my bills (that are in my name), while she let warnings and bills sit around in the last minute (that are in HER name). All the while not saving up any money to fix any of this.

I'm starting to become nervous. Does she have any legal ground/leverage over me?

Who's Liable?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Between my roommate and I, we split up some of the bills to our apartment. I have the electric bill in my name, and my roommate has the gas bill in her name. She has a bad habit of not getting in touch with me when I remind her to tell me how much the bill for the gas would be that month. She's hardly ever around.

In may, I noticed an envelop on our table addressed to my roommates name with some kind of "10 day notice" on it. I couldn't tell what it was, and wasn't about to open it.

About 10 days later, the gas was shut off. She finally got in touch with me about it, crying, admitting that she didn't pay it. A few days later, she kept saying "we" didn't pay the bill.

She's been putting off paying this bill and has now roped me into paying half of this bill with her. I refuse to give her the money since I'm on time with my bills (that are in my name), while she let warnings and bills sit around in the last minute (that are in HER name). All the while not saving up any money to fix any of this.

I'm starting to become nervous. Does she have any legal ground/leverage over me?
Yes and no. It all depends on what type of judge you get.

You could inform her that if you pay half the gas bill, she will be required to pay half the electric bill. You are NOT required to pay for any late fees or re-connection fees the gas company may tack on.

I would inform her you will NOT [ay half the gas bill UNLESS she signs a promissory note stating she will pay half the electric bill.

SigurPol

Yes and no. It all depends on what type of judge you get.

You could inform her that if you pay half the gas bill, she will be required to pay half the electric bill. You are NOT required to pay for any late fees or re-connection fees the gas company may tack on.

I would inform her you will NOT [ay half the gas bill UNLESS she signs a promissory note stating she will pay half the electric bill.
I understand. I should have mentioned, the "bill" she keeps roping me into is the late fee plus the fee of turning the gas back on. About 800 dollars all together. I'm assuming this implies the fee's that the gas company tacks on?

Also, other important details left out (haha), as the bills are in one of our names (gas, water, or electric), we give each of us the fair share amount. I know that's obvious, but I just wanted to make that clear. I'll tell her as soon as I get the bill for the electric and how much she owes. With her, its a last minute deal.. especially with the time when the gas got shut off. That's when she got nailed with the fee's of it being turned off and needing it turned back on.

Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

Who's Liable?

I understand. I should have mentioned, the "bill" she keeps roping me into is the late fee plus the fee of turning the gas back on. About 800 dollars all together. I'm assuming this implies the fee's that the gas company tacks on?
Could be. Demand to see the bill, and don't pay ANYTHING until you see it. All the extra fees the gas company adds are her own to pay, NOT you. Because of her failure to pay the bill on time, it would not have been turned off and no late fees, re-connection fees would be applied.

Also, other important details left out (haha), as the bills are in one of our names (gas, water, or electric), we give each of us the fair share amount. I know that's obvious, but I just wanted to make that clear. I'll tell her as soon as I get the bill for the electric and how much she owes. With her, its a last minute deal.. especially with the time when the gas got shut off. That's when she got nailed with the fee's of it being turned off and needing it turned back on.

Thanks for the input!
Again, GET IT IN WRITING!!! We see MANY people come on here with their stories of roommates promising to pay and 6 months later they want to know if they can hold them to a verbal agreement, which is difficult to do.

SigurPol

Could be. Demand to see the bill, and don't pay ANYTHING until you see it. All the extra fees the gas company adds are her own to pay, NOT you. Because of her failure to pay the bill on time, it would not have been turned off and no late fees, re-connection fees would be applied.
Again, GET IT IN WRITING!!! We see MANY people come on here with their stories of roommates promising to pay and 6 months later they want to know if they can hold them to a verbal agreement, which is difficult to do.
I follow. Wouldn't we be liable for the entire sum though? Since we live together? Does it matter this was signed through the utilities, or the apartment? Also, I thought the creditor could sorta choose who to come after if the fee/bill isn't paid?

Who's Liable?

Which is it? Are utilities part of the apartment lease or are they a separate bill?

This would have been much easier if you would have stated from the beginning.

LillianX

I don't think this has been addressed yet... OP, you had to have known that you hadn't given her any money for the gas bill in quite awhile. Why didn't you ask her about the bill?

Who's Liable?

I don't think this has been addressed yet... OP, you had to have known that you hadn't given her any money for the gas bill in quite awhile. Why didn't you ask her about the bill?
Yes, I know, which is why I'm trying to discern HOW the OPs lease and utilities are set up.

Some apartment complexes bill utilities under a separate billing system. You would have a regular monthly rental bill, as well as a separate utility bill. Both of these bills would be paid to the complex, however they could be due on separate days.

I know of one complex that has three separate billing systems. One for rent, one for gas, and one for electricity. ALL are due on separate days of the month, yet the tenants pay them directly to the complex. On top of that each "bill" has separate late fee charges, etc..

SigurPol

Okay, okay, okay. I'm sorry for the confusion.

Let me just say first, I'm writing this for someone else. So to weed out the confusion, I wrote it in the first person. Which is why I didn't have all of this information on hand. Silly, I know.

Anyway, this was all signed through the utilities. Separate bills, since one bill goes to one tenant, and one goes to another.

The reason there wasn't any communication about why the bill had not been paid in so long during the Month of may, was because THAT tenant was MIA for weeks. Not responding to texts, phone calls, or messages and not being at the apartment at all. The bill's are paid by whos name its in. So the water is paid by one person, the gas is paid by another person. They split the water bill.

So, theres the electric on one bill for one tenant.
The gas, for the other tenant (the one who was MIA and late for payments)
The water bill, that the landlords name is in
And then the rent.

Again, I know it's annoying that I'm doing this piece by piece. I was just trying to help someone out and get some info. I'm sorry.

Last edited:

Who's Liable?

Okay, okay, okay. I'm sorry for the confusion.

Let me just say first, I'm writing this for someone else. So to weed out the confusion, I wrote it in the first person. Which is why I didn't have all of this information on hand. Silly, I know.

Anyway, this was all signed through the utilities. Separate bills, since one bill goes to one tenant, and one goes to another.

The reason there wasn't any communication about why the bill had not been paid in so long during the Month of may, was because THAT tenant was MIA for weeks. Not responding to texts, phone calls, or messages and not being at the apartment at all. The bill's are paid by whos name its in. So the water is paid by one person, the gas is paid by another person. They split the water bill.

So, theres the electric on one bill for one tenant.
The gas, for the other tenant (the one who was MIA and late for payments)
The water bill, that the landlords name is in
And then the rent.

Again, I know it's annoying that I'm doing this piece by piece. I was just trying to help someone out and get some info. I'm sorry.
Much better. ;)

My original advice stands. If the gas is in her name, SHE is responsible for the late fees and any other additional fees the utility company tacks on. They(gas co.) cannot attach the bill to another tenant who lives at that address. They can only legally pursue who's name the bill is in.

SigurPol

Much better. ;)

My original advice stands. If the gas is in her name, SHE is responsible for the late fees and any other additional fees the utility company tacks on. They(gas co.) cannot attach the bill to another tenant who lives at that address. They can only legally pursue who's name the bill is in.

Haha, glad I was able to clear that up. Again, sorry it got a little wordy for a moment.

But okay, that's what I thought this entire time! Thanks again for the input! And patience :D

justalayman

I just noticed this thread is from '11. :eek:

something happened. I was reading a thread about somebody not sharing a wifi password and then when I posted, it's on this thread. Spooky spooky.

hence the reference about a hard wired connection to the router. No gas companies use a router that I am aware of.

it was this thread:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/landlord-tenant-issues-42/can-i-withhold-wi-fi-password-roommate-if-we-split-bill-602771.html

honest to goodness. I have no idea where this thread came from.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">