• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate threatened to rape me online

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jpwine

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I live with two roommates, one of whom I've befriended. The other one...I have not. She is very strange, and things have gotten worse progressively. I discovered her Twitter, and she has made many threatening comments.

She has asked her friends to come punch us in the face, and jokes about getting us "out of here." Now while she never says our names, we know who she is discussing because of the context. She usually posts things about how much she dislikes us, but the other day one of her friends said she should rape us with sharp, herpes infected rocks. She responded with a LMAO. I feel like things have gone too far now. What are my options? Although as I mentioned, are names are not stated, the posts are clearly about my nice roommate and myself. Is this considered cyberbullying? Does my landlord care? Do I go to the police? I guess overall I do not want her to have people over at all anymore. Any advice?

Antigone*

I live with two roommates, one of whom I've befriended. The other one...I have not. She is very strange, and things have gotten worse progressively. I discovered her Twitter, and she has made many threatening comments.

She has asked her friends to come punch us in the face, and jokes about getting us "out of here." Now while she never says our names, we know who she is discussing because of the context. She usually posts things about how much she dislikes us, but the other day one of her friends said she should rape us with sharp, herpes infected rocks. She responded with a LMAO. I feel like things have gone too far now. What are my options? Although as I mentioned, are names are not stated, the posts are clearly about my nice roommate and myself. Is this considered cyberbullying? Does my landlord care? Do I go to the police? I guess overall I do not want her to have people over at all anymore. Any advice?

Get a new room mate.

HomeGuru

**A: oh brother. Rocks can't be infected. Well, maybe moon rocks.

Jpwine

Yes, I know rocks can't be infected, but it still a rape threat. And I can't find a new roommate, we're all on the lease.

xylene

Has anything actually happened to you?

Not online, but any fights or conflict?

Anything specific online or IRL?

The rock rape thing sounds pretty bad, but so does a lot of stuff on the net.

Jpwine

No-she had a guest come stay for a week who took over our house and wouldn't tell us when she was leaving, but other then stuff like throwing out my food nothing has happened in real life.

Silverplum

No-she had a guest come stay for a week who took over our house and wouldn't tell us when she was leaving, but other then stuff like throwing out my food nothing has happened in real life.
Find someone else to (legally) take over your lease and move out. Your friend can do the same.

Part of growing up is having crazy roommates and learning to not do that any more. :cool:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A quick word to the OP:

If it sounds as if we're not taking you seriously, it's not really that. We do understand how upsetting this is; don't think we don't. It's simply that in this particular set of circumstances, the options are limited.

Silverplum

A quick word to the OP:

If it sounds as if we're not taking you seriously, it's not really that. We do understand how upsetting this is; don't think we don't. It's simply that in this particular set of circumstances, the options are limited.
I take her all kinds of seriously: I had a lunatic roommate once in college. At the end of our Special Time Together, she was brandishing kitchen knives at me.

Just Blue

Move. :rolleyes:

Gail in Georgia

How does someone rape another person online? That event would not be possible long distance.

What options are you attempting to look for? Getting her evicted over this? Not going to happen. She's not even the one who brought up the idea.

You moving? A possibility; however, if you have a written lease remember that unless you can find a roommate to take your place you remain financially obligated for rent to the landlord until the lease would normally terminate.

If she is on also on the lease...and the lease allows all tenants to have friends over...you have absolutely no legal right to tell her that she cannot have folks over.

Perhaps it's time the three of you sat down and attempted to discuss living together like adults.

Gail

applecruncher

Why are you asking US if your landlord cares? How would we know? Have you talked to your landlord and asked if s/he cares? Have you considered staying off Twitter for awhile?

This all sounds very junior high schoolish. You can deal with it or move. There is no guarantee that a different living situation will be better.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">