• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rule to vacate/show cause,verbal agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rassean

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

ok, so me and my wife have been living in a place for over a year, 1 year and 2 months to be exact. there was never a paper lease drawn up or signed, just a handshake and an agreement. He has never once asked me to pay a specific amount, via text, email or on the phone, and I have always just given him money when we were able to. We also kept up the utilities here, which are in his name. We are now facing eviction for non payment of rent. We have been served with a rule to vacate or show cause. The only thing in writing he has against us is our initial emails where I told him we could give him X amount by X time if he allowed us to move in. On the original craigslist post it just said "make me an offer". He has texts from me stating that I will make a deposit by X date, but never any specific amounts and he never asked for any specific amounts. Could we not just take it to court and it would be our word against his? Could we not say that we told him we would pay what we could when we could and he never specifically asked for certain amounts on certain times?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

ok, so me and my wife have been living in a place for over a year, 1 year and 2 months to be exact. there was never a paper lease drawn up or signed, just a handshake and an agreement. He has never once asked me to pay a specific amount, via text, email or on the phone, and I have always just given him money when we were able to. We also kept up the utilities here, which are in his name. We are now facing eviction for non payment of rent. We have been served with a rule to vacate or show cause. The only thing in writing he has against us is our initial emails where I told him we could give him X amount by X time if he allowed us to move in. On the original craigslist post it just said "make me an offer". He has texts from me stating that I will make a deposit by X date, but never any specific amounts and he never asked for any specific amounts. Could we not just take it to court and it would be our word against his? Could we not say that we told him we would pay what we could when we could and he never specifically asked for certain amounts on certain times?
Did you really think that somebody was going to allow to pay, indefinitely, whatever you wanted whenever you wanted? In all reality, he doesn't even have to evict you, all he has to do is give you 30 days notice to move out, and you would have to move out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">