• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Satellite dish

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fortworthjason

What is the name of your state? TX

I live in Fort Worth, TX. I am required by my apartment complex to pay 100 dollar deposit in order to have a satellite dish. Can they do this? What if it is not mounted to the apartment? Thanks

Happy Trails

fortworthjason said:
What is the name of your state? TX

I live in Fort Worth, TX. I am required by my apartment complex to pay 100 dollar deposit in order to have a satellite dish. Can they do this? What if it is not mounted to the apartment? Thanks
If you don't like the agreement, find a different place to live.

It's a deposit, you should get it back providing you don't take the satellite when you leave.

fortworthjason

The dish is provided by whomever installs it, not the apartment. It is not a deposit on the dish but the installation of or such.

cmorris

You rent, don't own. The apartment complex can have a deposit for whatever they like. I didn't like paying my pet deposit, but if I want to live here, I got to pay it.

Happy Trails

fortworthjason said:
The dish is provided by whomever installs it, not the apartment. It is not a deposit on the dish but the installation of or such.
Even in this situation, the management is trying to protect their property of any damages that may occur. Not just the installation, but also the removal of the dish. You'll get it back if no damages happen.

longneck

My apartment complex only required a deposit if you mounted the dish to your balcony and had to drill holes for the cables. So some people were, for a while, buying a bucket, filling it with concrete, then sticking a 5 foot pipe into the cement. The dish was attached to this "stand." They also ran their cables through a window so there are no holes. In this case, they didn't have to pay the depoist.

Well, the four hurricanes that hit Florida last year caused the management to change their mind. A couple dishes ended up going though windows and railings, damaging parked cars, crashing in to A/C units and damaging the fountain heads. The sent a lease addendum to everyone that requires a deposit for ALL dishes. Anyone who didn't sign the addendum was given a 60 day notice.

And before you ask about anything else being left on the balconies, the leases already state that nothing may be left on the balconies while not in use, with the exception of bicycles chained to the railing.

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">