• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Satellite Dish

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

iamfem

I'm a tenant in a 32 unit apt. bldg in Los Angeles where two different tenants have had a satellite dish installed. One tenant has the dish installed above their patio attached to the fascia board just under the roof. Other tenant has dish installed on fascia on the back of a different tenant's apt. wall, not their apt. FYI: the patio has wrougt iron grill and a dish cannot be installed on them, and dish must face SW so needs the height which is the fascia just under the roof.

I asked the part-time manager for written permission so that I could install a dish above my patio on the fascia. He asked the supv. mgr and she said no, I could not install a dish. The two other tenants received verbal permission, but she is denying me. The reason, I believe, is discriminatory.

My question is: if two other tenants already have satellite dishes installed on the fascia, why would I not be allowed to do the same as the tenant directly across the walkway from me and the other in front of the bldg.? I always thought that what's good for one tenant is good for all.

I plan to have a dish installed this summer, but prior to doing it, I would like some advice.

Cvillecpm

Jeeze....have you not got enough to worry about? "Stupid" is not a protected class.

Ask your TV provider for a copy of the FCC rules and regulations with regard to installing a dish. Mgmt can designate how/where dishes go under certain circumstances and you are responsible for any damage or liability from placement. Mgmt can designate how placement is to be done.

You also should have insurance if/when the dish is installed and it can not be installed in place other area directly under your control.

I

iamfem

My question is:
if two other tenants already have satellite dishes installed on the fascia, why would I not be allowed to do the same as the tenant???

Isn't what's good for one tenant, good for all tenants?

Isn't a fascia a fascia?

I have the FCC info and the L.A. Housing Fact Sheet. Both say to get written permission from manager.

The manager has given "verbal" permission to two other tenants who installed the dish.

The manager will NOT give me written or verbal permission.

Doesn't that seem unusal?

Cvillecpm

Again, no. You don't know that the other two tenants did not get written permission, submit plans and specs - which are usually provided by the dish installer - and do in accordance with guidelines of mgmt.

What you need to do is make a written request for guidelines and if there are none, then you have to go UP in the chain of management to reach someone who will respond.

On site management does not have to provide information on other residents, etc.

JETX

In addition to cvillecpm's correct response, let me answer your specific questions:

Q1) "If two other tenants already have satellite dishes installed on the fascia, why would I not be allowed to do the same as the tenant???"
A1) Because you have no reason to believe that their installations were approved or under what circumstances. And their approval (if any) does NOT apply to you.

Q2) "Isn't what's good for one tenant, good for all tenants?"
A2) Of course not. Each tenant has their own circumstances and considerations.

Q3) "Isn't a fascia a fascia?"
A3) Only in 'fascia land'.

Q4) "I have the FCC info and the L.A. Housing Fact Sheet. Both say to get written permission from manager."
A4) Okay. And if read the FCC rule, you will see that you can install the dish on YOUR property, but not that owned by others. So, why not do like others have in your situation.... mount a pole into a bucket of concrete and mount the dish on the pole. Then set the pole ON your patio (assuming you can get a clear shot). Then, when you move, you take the pole and dish with you.

Q5) "The manager has given "verbal" permission to two other tenants who installed the dish."
A5) And how do you know this??? Go to your manager and tell them, "THIS ISN'T FAIR!!! Make them take theirs down if I can't have mine!!!".

Q6) "The manager will NOT give me written or verbal permission."
A6) And why do you think that is???

Q7) "Doesn't that seem unusal?"
A7) What, that you aren't able to bully your way past into getting the manager to allow you to have your way?? Nope.

In any case, your options are:
1) Live without satellite.
2) Come up with an alternate way to mount the dish and NOT touch their property.
3) Move to a 'satellite friendly' location
4) Go ahead and install the satellite without their permission and get evicted or hit with costs.

I

iamfem

Reporting in from Fascia Land

"You don't know that the other two tenants did not get written permission, submit plans and specs"

YES, I DO!! I wouldn't say something that I didn't know for a fact. Yes, the mgr told me he gave both of them verbal permission. Both tenants told me they received verbal permission. The mgr. told me he gave verbal permission in front of one of the tenants.

WHY is the supv mgr being a bitch?:

Because she refused to make the necessary repairs to my apt. after I repeatedly requested them. It's not fun living with termites crawling around your bedroom, and not fun to have your electricity go out repeatedly. The repairs were made only AFTER I was left with no alternative, but to call the Housing Authority and then she HAD to make the repairs. She was NOT a happy camper. ERGO: she (supv mgr) told the male (part time) mgr that I could not do it.

Would you put a bucket of cement on your patio when the wind howls thru the wind tunnel which is the walkway of the two bldgs? I don't think you would. Nice thought tho. I passed on that one a month ago.

So once again: If two tenants were given 'verbal' permission by the mgr. and the supv. mgr knows about it, and all the other tenants know about it, how could it be OK for two tenants and not the rest of the tenants......or just one other tenant? Makes no sense.

No, I'm not moving from my home of almost 12 years.

ccarter

"Q3) "Isn't a fascia a fascia?"
A3) Only in 'fascia land'. "

Halket....OMG...too funny, I had to wait for the tears to stop to post a reply. Thanks for the laugh...I'm still laughing...

Y

yaryar833

Whether or not the mgr gave them verbal permission, doesnt the company have to have signed permission? At my former home, i checked into getting a satelitte, and none of my trees were tall enough (darn the luck lol) and i was going to have to get signed permission from one of my neighbors to allow me to put it in their tree before the company would do anything.

Sounds like she may have a grudge because of the Housing Authority thing, but what do i know?

JETX

Please excuse my failure in not realizing that you live in a wind tunnel.

Please excuse my failure in not knowing that you have already ticked off the 'management' and that may be why they aren't willing to give you a break.

Please excuse my failure for not recognizing that you have obviously already considered and excluded ALL other possible solutions to YOUR problem.

So, lets answer your question:
"If two tenants were given 'verbal' permission by the mgr. and the supv. mgr knows about it, and all the other tenants know about it, how could it be OK for two tenants and not the rest of the tenants......or just one other tenant? Makes no sense."

You're right (of course!), it makes no sense at all. But why should it?? Bottom line, you stepped on their toes (when you called the Housing Authority on them) and they are NOT going to give you any 'special treatment'.

So, your options:
1) Do it anyway (and possibly get evicted).
2) Forget about it (get cable)
3) Move (Oh, thats right.. you've been there for 12 years).

I

iamfem

Thanks for the advice Halklit.

Wonder if you would want to live in an apt that has holes in the walls, termites crawling in your bedroom, and paint crumbling from huge cracks in the walls from earthquakes. I doubt you would enjoy your habitat.

The only reason I can figure out why the Supv Mgr has said no to me is that she's being discriminatory and she's retaliating against me. That's no way to do business.

According to an organization I contacted, if one tenant has a dish, all tenants can have a dish. The only decision I have now, is........do I want to put it up..........do I want to have another war.......do I give a flying fig?

Obviously, this site doesn't actually know the correct legalalilties and cannot give the advice I actually needed.........except to move, get cable or live with the BS. Yes, I know those three myself. Thanks, however.

Cvillecpm

Installing dish w/o permission, either verbal or in writing can subject you to immediate eviction. You need to follow the FCC guidelines and the mgmt CAN discriminate against the placement of the dish, manner of installation AND damage to the property.

Get off the discrimination "thing" and answer the necessary questions on installation to mgmt, supervisor or property owner.

You need to be professional, pleasant and determined. You are letting other "mgmt baggage" get in the way of getting your dish installed legally.

HomeGuru

iamfem said:
Thanks for the advice Halklit.

Wonder if you would want to live in an apt that has holes in the walls, termites crawling in your bedroom, and paint crumbling from huge cracks in the walls from earthquakes. I doubt you would enjoy your habitat.

The only reason I can figure out why the Supv Mgr has said no to me is that she's being discriminatory and she's retaliating against me. That's no way to do business.

According to an organization I contacted, if one tenant has a dish, all tenants can have a dish. The only decision I have now, is........do I want to put it up..........do I want to have another war.......do I give a flying fig?

Obviously, this site doesn't actually know the correct legalalilties and cannot give the advice I actually needed.........except to move, get cable or live with the BS. Yes, I know those three myself. Thanks, however.
Response from fascia land: Halket and Cvillecpm were correct with respect to their responses. You are free to pay for a laywer to tell you the same things they did.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">