• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Damage & door wind damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spacecadet610

Security Deposit & door wind damage

What is the name of your state? DC

I currently live in CT but rented a sublet in DC.

While in my sublet it was a very windy night and the wind violently blew open the balcony door slamming it and denting the door near the handle. I honestly don't know why it flew open. I thought I had shut it tight and locked it although i admit the lock mechanism was a little hard to figure out.

My landlord decided to keep my $900 security deposit. I said ok because i felt guilty about the door and just asked her to send me an itemized receipt of the damage.

I have prompted her by email multiple times about this itemized receipt for damage. We have had email correspondence where she said she was working on things and that she would get it to me.

After 46 days, I received a certified letter in the mail which was a proposal from the manufacturing company for fixing the door which lists the cost as $2201 ($1620 door and $500 install + $81 tax). This is the only physical thing i have received from her thus far.

Right after than, I requested from her an itemized receipt proving that she had indeed gone through with the proposal.

After 65 days , she has now emailed back that since I am "pushing her" and she was being "sympathetic towards me" about not trying to charge me the full $2201, and that she will now look into what her legal options are to get the full amount from me.

Questions:
1. Was i actually liable for the damage in the first place? The wind blew open a door that was closed. Does this count as "natural disaster" damage that a tenant is not responsible for. The door was closed but the locking mechanism on it definitely was not straightforward. I remember on the first day trying unsuccessfully to get it to lock and couldn't figure it out.
2. Does she actually have a right to the full $2201 that she states is needed to fix the door? I already told her she could keep the $900 security deposit.
3. Legally, do i have grounds to retrieve my security deposit since she has not given me an itemized receipt? DC law states that landlord has 45 days to notify in writing. And then 30 days from that point to submit itemized receipt. If i do not receive it, then i have a right to 3 times the security deposit.
4. I never sent anything by certified mail demanding anything although i have all my email correspondence documenting such. Is this email sufficient in a court of law?
5. I believe my only option is to go to small claims court, which I need to go back to DC for, correct?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">