• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security deposit and Escrow issues Oklahoma

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shannoninokc

I reside in the state of Oklahoma. At the end of my lease I gave written thirty day notice along with my forwarding address and a request for a return of my deposit. After 50 days I received in the mail a letter (not certified) that included a break down of how my security deposit was spent on damages, along with a check for the remaining balance. According to the Oklahoma Landlord and Tenant Act, the landlord has 30 days from the date the premises is vacated to either refund the entire security deposit or mail a certified letter with the itemized break down of the damages that were deducted. I understand this to mean that because the landlord failed to meet these requirements within the time frame I am now entitled to a full refund of my deposit. Also, I believe that he mishandled my security deposit. The state of Oklahoma requires you to keep the deposit secure in a bank located within Oklahoma that is FDIC insured. The check that I received is written from a bank located in California (address is on the check) and the property companies address is also located in California. Does this serve as proof that the landlord did not follow the proper escrow laws? Also, who would I report it to? I am going to send a letter citing the Oklahoma law to try and get my deposit back and if that is not successful I plan on taking him to small claims court. But I'm curious on how I handle the whole escrow thing which is a misdemeanor here in Oklahoma.

sandyclaus

I reside in the state of Oklahoma. At the end of my lease I gave written thirty day notice along with my forwarding address and a request for a return of my deposit. After 50 days I received in the mail a letter (not certified) that included a break down of how my security deposit was spent on damages, along with a check for the remaining balance. According to the Oklahoma Landlord and Tenant Act, the landlord has 30 days from the date the premises is vacated to either refund the entire security deposit or mail a certified letter with the itemized break down of the damages that were deducted. I understand this to mean that because the landlord failed to meet these requirements within the time frame I am now entitled to a full refund of my deposit. Also, I believe that he mishandled my security deposit. The state of Oklahoma requires you to keep the deposit secure in a bank located within Oklahoma that is FDIC insured. The check that I received is written from a bank located in California (address is on the check) and the property companies address is also located in California. Does this serve as proof that the landlord did not follow the proper escrow laws? Also, who would I report it to? I am going to send a letter citing the Oklahoma law to try and get my deposit back and if that is not successful I plan on taking him to small claims court. But I'm curious on how I handle the whole escrow thing which is a misdemeanor here in Oklahoma.
41 O.S. 2001 §115(B) states that:
...If the landlord proposes to retain any portion of the security deposit for rent, damages or other legally allowable charges under the provisions of this act or the rental agreement, the landlord shall return the balance of the security deposit without interest to the tenant within thirty (30) days after the termination of tenancy, delivery of possession and written demand by the tenant...
According to the above, the LL had 30 days AFTER the termination of the tenancy, delivery of possession (the date you actually vacated and returned the premises to the LL), and issuance of the written demand for the security to return it to you.

From your statement above, it seems like you included your demand for the security deposit along with your actual notice of intent to terminate at the end of the lease term, which would have been 30 days PRIOR to you actually moving out.

So, please clarify:
When did you give your notice of your intent to terminate your tenancy (was it before or after the actual lease expiration date, and how long before/after)?
How long after you gave notice did you vacate?
Did your request for the security deposit come before or after you actually vacated the premises?
How long after you vacated did you receive the security deposit balance with the breakdown?

The statute appears clear in that all 3 requirements must be met before the 30-day clock starts ticking. That means the LL should have had 30 days from the date you actually returned the keys to the property in order to process your security deposit request.

As to the security deposit not being held in an Oklahoma bank, while the statute is clear that it is required, the penalty on that is on the LL, and focuses on the misappropriation of the funds (by not holding them in escrow at all) as opposed to holding them in a bank outside of the state instead. And how do you know that they didn't just transfer those funds to a different bank to issue the check? (Short answer, you don't.) The bottom line on that issue is that you DID get your security deposit funds back. The LL did not misappropriate them, and so you really have no legal recourse on that matter. Consider yourself lucky because there are a lot of unscrupulous LLs out there who will run off with the security and have you chasing them to try to retrieve any of it at all.

Shannoninokc

Notice to vacate was given in June along with the request for the return of the security deposit. The property was vacated by July 1, which by my understanding would mean that the LL has until August 1 to return the security deposit. The 12 month lease had expired 9 months earlier, so we were in no way breaking our lease. We physically vacated the home and returned the keys to the LL June 20th, though we put July 1 on the notice, legally I understand we have to go by that date. Still, according to my understanding that is 50 days that has passed since we have received the rest of our security deposit. As far as the escrow account is concerned, while it is a non-issue concerning me getting my security deposit back, I would like to report the LL mishandling of my funds since it is ILLEGAL. I'm just unsure of who to report my concerns to. I guess I could start with the Attorney General's office and go from there. And I do know that the LL did not hold the security deposit in an escrow located in Oklahoma because his property manager told me so. I don't feel lucky to get $71 of a $600 security deposit back when I actually improved the home and it was in better condition when I moved out then when I moved in.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Notice to vacate was given in June along with the request for the return of the security deposit. The property was vacated by July 1, which by my understanding would mean that the LL has until August 1 to return the security deposit. The 12 month lease had expired 9 months earlier, so we were in no way breaking our lease. We physically vacated the home and returned the keys to the LL June 20th, though we put July 1 on the notice, legally I understand we have to go by that date. Still, according to my understanding that is 50 days that has passed since we have received the rest of our security deposit. As far as the escrow account is concerned, while it is a non-issue concerning me getting my security deposit back, I would like to report the LL mishandling of my funds since it is ILLEGAL. I'm just unsure of who to report my concerns to. I guess I could start with the Attorney General's office and go from there. And I do know that the LL did not hold the security deposit in an escrow located in Oklahoma because his property manager told me so. I don't feel lucky to get $71 of a $600 security deposit back when I actually improved the home and it was in better condition when I moved out then when I moved in.
Report it to anybody you want - nobody is going to care. That's what it means to be a "non-issue"

sandyclaus

If you are taking issue with the deductions from the security deposit, then I would suggest focusing on that aspect. You can always take the LL to small claims court to dispute what you feel are improper deductions. However, if you do that, then the burden will be on YOU to disprove the validity of those deductions. Do you have photos or video of the condition of the property at both move-in and move-out to support your claim that the property was in better condition when you moved out then it was when you moved in? If not, just your say-so isn't going to fly. If you want to succeed in court, you have to have evidence to prove your claim. And also keep in mind that OK law does allow LLs to countersue for the actual damages, even if the amounts they withheld from your security deposit were not in line with their deductions. There may have been costs they didn't charge you for that will suddenly appear in their counterclaim against you.

Shannoninokc

I see what you mean Zigner. I just figured that since it's a misdemeanor someone might care. As far as the deductions from my security deposit, to my understanding because of the LL's failure to return deposit along with itemization, they are moot. I only disagree with some of the deductions but that doesn't really matter if the LL didn't comply with the thirty day law.

Gail in Georgia

"Notice to vacate was given in June along with the request for the return of the security deposit. The property was vacated by July 1, which by my understanding would mean that the LL has until August 1 to return the security deposit. "

Notice to vacate was provided when in June??? In your initial posting you indicate you gave 30 days written notice; you are clear that this amount of time is accurate since you now state that the notice to vacate was "given in June", correct?

Gail

Gail in Georgia

Steps to take if you believe your security deposit was unfairly withheld:

http://oklaw.org/resource/getting-your-security-deposit-back

Gail

Shannoninokc

Notice was given June 1 that we intended to vacate the premises by June 31. The thirty days would begin on July 1. I did not receive my deposit until August 20th, 50 days after the property had been vacated and 81 days after the initial notice. Therefore, am I correct or incorrect in believing that I am owed my entire deposit?

Gail in Georgia

Review Section 115 in the attached. You'll likely need to sue for the remaining security deposit:

http://www.ok.gov/OREC/documents/Landlord%20and%20Tenant%20Act%20Update.pdf

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">