• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Deposit Interest Question in Maryland

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mwooster

Baltimore City, Maryland

I signed a 4-month lease with my landlord. According to Maryland law, "when returning security deposits of $50 or more, the landlord must include simple interest of 3% every year, accrued at 6-month intervals from the date the security deposit was paid."

Since it was a 4-month lease and I paid 1-month worth of rent as deposit, I do not get any interest back, correct?

Thanks!

Last edited:

LdiJ

Baltimore City, Maryland

I signed a 4-month lease with my landlord. According to Maryland law, "when returning security deposits of $50 or more, the landlord must includesimple interest of 3% every eyar, accrued at 6-month intervals from the date the security deposit was paid."

Since it was a 4-month lease and I paid 1-month worth of rent as deposit, I do not get any interest back, correct?

Thanks!
Based on the law as you quoted it, you are correct, you would not get any interest back. Just FYI any interest would be insignificant.

Example, 1000.00 at 3% would yield 30.00 for an entire year. For 4 months that would be 10.00. You are not talking about any real money here.

mwooster

Based on the law as you quoted it, you are correct, you would not get any interest back. Just FYI any interest would be insignificant.

Example, 1000.00 at 3% would yield 30.00 for an entire year. For 4 months that would be 10.00. You are not talking about any real money here.
Thanks, buddy. I know, just want to see if I can get a bit more snack money lol

Just Blue

Probably better for my obesity issue I'm facing lol
mwooster, Please stop posting to other members threads unless you know the LAWS for that state. As you don't know the law for your own you should likely sit back and hush.

Thanks!!
Blue

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">