• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Deposit Issues after a verbally voided lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clewisbsc

What is the name of your state? Florida

I located a property that I was originally planing on occupying. I gave a $500 security deposit to the potential leasor and signed a copy of the lease. I faxed the lease to leasor; however, I never received a copy of the final lease nor did I receive any papers regarding the property condition (e.g., walk-throughs, etc.).

Upon discovering that the property was unfinish and not ready to be occupied after being told that the property WAS, in fact, going to be move-in-ready, I contacted the leasor. We verbally discussed this issues and he agreed to release me rom the lease. Furthermore, he promised to mail me a VOIDED copy of the lease, which he has yet to do. The security deposit issue was never discussed or brought up during this conversation or prior to this conversation. After the mutual agreement of voiding the lease, I put a stop payment on the security desposit check. Three weeks later (tonight, actually), I received a call from the leasor saying that he would take me to court if I did not reissue the $500 security desposit. Furthermore, he threatened to obtain the first month's rent if the security desposit wasn't paid. (This makes no sense because I never moved into the house) Apparently, he recenctly tried to cash my security deposit because the house is currently unoccupied.

Therefore, given that the lease was verbally voided, am I responsible for reissuing the $500 security deposit?? In addition, does he have any legal basis for taking me to court? I know that I should have gotten this verbal agreement in writing, but he has yet to mail me the voided lease.

Any adivce on this extremely complicated issued would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">