• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Deposit, No inspection prior to move-in

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beatle3

I am in Tennessee.

Trying to keep this as brief as possible...I will sum up the facts of the situation. Any information or advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

My husband and I moved into a townhouse in June of 2006. When we moved in, the agent for the management company was very scattered. He never came around to do an inspection prior to moving in. He lost the keys to the unit and had to dispatch a locksmith to let us in after signing the lease. He was very friendly and easy to work with, however, so we never made a big deal over the situation. We placed a 1,000 security deposit on the property.

In June of 2007, when it was time to renew...the agent was too busy to meet with us and said he would catch us when he could. We were finally able to sign another lease at the end of July 2007 keeping our move-out date of June 30th, 2008 since he was too busy at the time.

This agent left the company in April of 2008. The company also moved in that period of time...making them impossible for us to get in touch with.

We faxed over our 30 days notice at the beginning of June. By June 27th, they hadn't acknowledged receipt of our notice...so we had to take time off work to physically stop by their location and ask about it. They were okay with everything and scheduled an inspection to move out. This inspection was done without us present on June 30th. We have since turned in the keys, garage door openers and mailbox keys.

As of right now, we still have not heard back on the status of our deposit. We have tried calling (multiple times!) and have sent 4 letters. We are becoming very frustrated by their lack of response and don't know what to do next.

We left the apartment in good condition -- the carpets are a little old but just normal wear and tear. Everything is in working order. We paid a professional cleaning company to do a move-out clean after we left and we cleaned the carpets ourselves before leaving. We really tried to do everything we could to get our deposit back.

My question is: What should we do next? We need our deposit back and feel we should at least get an itemized letter from them detailing any charges. Also, if there ARE any charges, how can they place the blame on us when there was never an inspection prior to move-in? Advice, please!!

I have considered filing a complaint with the BBB...but I don't know what else I can do.

Mrs. D

Physically stopping by their office worked before, you might try that again.

Do a Google search for SD return requirements in your state. SDs must be returned within a specified period of time and/or an itemized statement of deductions must be presented, but this time limit varies from state to state.

If you still can't raise them, send a certified letter, return receipt requested, "demanding" your security deposit be refunded by a certain date (either the deadline by law or, if that deadline has already passed, 10 days from when you send the letter) or a statement of deductions be presented, or you will sue. I say "demanding" because it's called a demand letter. It doesn't have to be mean, just straightforward.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">