• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Deposit/Pet Deposit Question...dog wrecking the place

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bvinole

What is the name of your state? Florida

One of my roomates has a dog who is currently destroying the Florida room (i.e., ripping up the carpet, chewing on the wood door, ripping the paint off the wall). We' keep her in the backyard but she digs holes underneath the fence and escapes therefore she stays in the Florida room while we're at work. My roomate has told our landlord that he'd install tile in the Florida room and make all repairs before we move out and our landlord agreed. My question is although my roomate is going to fix the damage his dog caused, can we still lose our security deposit? I'm under the impression and accepted the fact that we're not going to get our security deposit back because the damage done is more than the deposit we paid (we've been there for only two months...) and I just want to know for sure.

treese

Why isn't this dog kept crated while no one is home?

You and your roommate are responsible for the damage caused by this dog and should do whatever humanly possible to prevent any further damage to the LL's property.

The LL has no obligation to allow your roommate to make any repairs to his property. If the LL has only verbally agreed, you should get permission in writing and include specifics.

Your security deposit return will depend on the condition of the property when you turn it back over to the LL.

bvinole

I'll tell my roomate to get a written agreement for tiling the floor. I'll also tell him to buy a crate for his dog and if he doesn't she has to go because its not worth the damage he (and legally I) have to pay for. Thanks for your comments.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">