• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Self storage help in OK

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

schnark

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

I have been informed by the self storage facility that I use that they are foreclosing on the contents of my unit due to a fraudulent check.

I have proof that I have made every payment on time and all payments have cleared my bank account. However, apparently a third party made an additional, unsolicited payment on my account (The name given to me by the Storage Facility office is the name of someone I do not think I even know!) and it was drawn on a long- closed account. They have locked my unit, also disabling my access code to the facility, and they tell me my items are going to be sold.

They are demanding payment for the amount of the check plus collection charges. They want them from me because I am the responsible party on the unit, despite the fact that I don't know this person. Apparently the foreclosure is already in process and they will be suing me for the amount that they say I owe for the check and collection charges if I do not pay them. Again, ALL payments on the unit are current. This payment this person apparently made on my behalf was additional to the regular rent on my account, so they have no claim of delinquency on my behalf.

Here's the kicker: Although this fraudulent check is enough for them to lock my unit, sell my stuff, and demand payment (They are threatening to sue if I don't pay it), they won't give me a copy of the bad check to prove it because it was not written by me!

I REALLY don't want to have to see an attorney about this, but I also really don't want to pay $200 and change to these people so they'll leave me alone. I have a feeling something is fishy here. Oh, and I want my stuff!!!!!!!!!!

Are they legally entitled to collect from me, close my unit, and sell my belongings because someone else wrote them a check on my account? It seems nuts to me- That would mean I could write a bad check on behalf of someone I dislike and leave them holding the bag. That doesn't seem right to me at all.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">