+ Reply to Thread
    Dixiechick is offline Junior Member

self storage of someone else's property

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TexasI rented a self storage unit as favor to a friend who had been evicted from her apt. Was to be for a few weeks until she found another place. It has turned into 4 mos. She has since gone to a drug rehab and then halfway house. Her grandmother has helped pay for storage that is in my name. I have asked her grandmother to sign into her name or move contents as I have nothing in the storage unit and no need for a storage unit. I have also sent grandmother and the girl both certified letters that if it isn't signed into grandmother's name, someone else's name, or contents picked up before Dec 30, I will have charity pick it up. I want to make sure there are no legal ramifications. What other options do I have? I've offered to help move the stuff. Can I take the stuff over to the grandmother's drive and leave it? That is the last known address for the friend, and the grandmother is also the guardian (although this person is 21). I do not want to be responsible or have to worry about this stuff anymore - I want to be rid of it. I will be leaving town soon and I don't want the responsibility of having to worry about someone else's stuff (few furniture pieces, personal belongings, clothes, etc.) particularly as this was only supposed to be for a few weeks and it has turned into months ongoing and I have no contact with this person except through her grandmother.
    Zigner is offline Senior Member
    There is no need to make multiple threads with the same question:

http://forum.freeadvice.com/consumer-contracts-guarantees-warranties-22/self-storage-someone-elses-property-537834.html
    Thank you for your thoughts...the grandmother is involved because she is the last known address before this person went to rehab/halfway house, and because we have no other contact information to reach the "friend". No phone number, no other address, no other way of reaching her, and the grandmother has gotten involved because she initially said she would put it in her name or get the stuff, but she never follows through or acts on it after several months of trying, and also because the grandmother paid one month of rental fee for the storage. It is my understanding the grandmother is the contact/legal guardian. If you can't get ahold of the friend, then the grandmother is the next way of contact. I hear what you're saying, but if it's between us and the friend, and we have no way of contacting the friend, then we are trying to do the next best thing. Also, there is no contract or written agreement with the friend.

The multiple posts are because I wasn't sure what legal category this would fall into, so posted it under several topics. Thanks for your comments.
    Hot Topic is offline Senior Member
    Something you can't do is dump the items. You would then be legally responsible for replacing them if destroyed or taken.
    What can you do with the items? They don't belong to us. We don't want them. We have offered to deliver them, help move them, be there if they want to pick them up, be there if they want to sign the storage into their name, paid for the storage, and there isn't much else we can do. We are not family. She has family. We have made every effort to get rid of the items amicably. This person is not our responsibility nor are her items...we don't want them and we don't want anything to do with her or her things.This was a favor that was supposed to last two weeks and has grown into months. They do not return our calls. When they do answer the phone, they say they'll meet us and take over the storage, but they never do - they keep putting it off. We have given them written notice and a date to give them plenty of time to respond or make arrangements. They also will not give us a phone number or address where we can contact the "friend" directly, so we only have her last known address, which is the Grandmother's and have sent notice there. It isn't right for us to be stuck with this stuff' indefinitely. This person is obviously a scam artist and we won't to be rid of the things and not connected. All we want them to do is pick them up, take possession, or take over the storage unit. There is no reason for us to pay for a storage unit that we do not use or need. When you have made an effort and offered to help them move their stuff', and they obviously don't want it or they'd have made an effort, and when you don't have any other way of contacting that person, it is ridiculous not to be able to get rid of the stuff.
    If anything, we should be able to bring suit against her for the storage fees and headache. Particularly as we have no agreement, nothing in writing, and no obligation to continue storing the items. She did not follow through with getting herself another apartment and getting her things as she indicated she would by the end of the first month. She has taken advantage and disappeared. We don't want anything to do with her. We just want to be rid of her things and terminate the storage contract which is in our name and there is no agreement of any kind between her and the storage or between us and her.
    applecruncher is offline Senior Member
    If anything, we should be able to bring suit against her for the storage fees and headache.
    Then go ahead and sue. That's what you're talking yourself into doing.

You chose to put the storage unit in your name. Yeah, yeah, you did it as a favor - and it backfired on you. So, sue your friend. Good luck with that.
    justalayman is offline Senior Member
    there was no contract for the friend to pay anything so OP would be hard pressed to win such a suit.

As well, if OP can't find the person to tell them to get their stuff, just how does OP propose on serving the person?
    applecruncher is offline Senior Member
    there was no contract for the friend to pay anything so OP would be hard pressed to win such a suit.
    Yes, I know. But OP will learn that filing a suit and winning are two very different things. Then there is the issue of collecting.
    just how does OP propose on serving the person?
    OP will have to answer that.