• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

selling House

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

Hi all,
We recently moved into a duplex and the landlord is selling the place. If someone were to buy the house tomorrow does that make our lease null and void or do the new owners have to honor the lease.

Also I would like to know what rights we have as for the realtor showing the place...I know I have to let them come in but do I have any rights here? Like can I limit them to normal business hours? Example they called yesterday afternoon (friday) to tell us they would be here at 8 am today (saturday) My husband works 7 days a week most weeks and on saturdays and sundays he sleeps late and goes to work later and beside I had to get up at 6am to make sure the whole house was cleaned before 8. Do I have the right to tell them they can't come in at certain times? I know the landlord wants to sell the place but I want to live my life too.
Thanks
Pixeltwistr

Who's Liable?

pixeltwistr said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina

Hi all,
We recently moved into a duplex and the landlord is selling the place. If someone were to buy the house tomorrow does that make our lease null and void or do the new owners have to honor the lease.
The existing lease survives the sale, and the new owner MUST honor it... If you do not want to stay, you can demand monetary compensation for moving fees plus any amount you feel justified too... The new LL may either pay it or not... If the new LL decides to pay it, GET IT IN WRITING BEFORE YOUR MOVE, as it is common for the new LL to "forget" what they had agreed to...

pixeltwistr said:
Also I would like to know what rights we have as for the realtor showing the place...I know I have to let them come in but do I have any rights here? Like can I limit them to normal business hours? Example they called yesterday afternoon (friday) to tell us they would be here at 8 am today (saturday) My husband works 7 days a week most weeks and on saturdays and sundays he sleeps late and goes to work later and beside I had to get up at 6am to make sure the whole house was cleaned before 8. Do I have the right to tell them they can't come in at certain times? I know the landlord wants to sell the place but I want to live my life too.
Thanks
Pixeltwistr
You are correct, the LL must be allowed in at "reasonable" hours, usually between normal business hours. You can deny them access if it is obviously beyond normal hours. You cannot deny them access during normal business hours though... Most states deem 24 hrs. notice to access the unit, but it may be different in your state... Verify with your states LL/T laws... You do not have to clean for them, you can leave your place the way it is...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">