• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Send complaint letter to both my landlord and neighbor's condo owner?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iditarod656

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NV

I rent a condo, and am finally fed up with a neighbor who lives in the same building. I have the owner's name and address (in CA), and am preparing a letter. My complaint involves destruction of property, disturbing the peace, and harassment. The thing is, I don't know if my own landlord is also his landlord. He may very well be, as my landlord had previously rented to one of this guy's friends ( who is now harassing me). Also, this neighbor moved in after the same landlord had been doing a lot of work on a unit on that side of the building.

So today I e-mailed them just to find out if they are also managing that particular unit. It was brief, I just said I'm having a problem with the man in that unit, that I'm preparing to write to the owner, but I wanted to check with them first, so that I don't go over their heads to the owner. I haven't had an answer yet.

What would be the best way to handle this? Just send a certified letter to the owner, and a copy to the landlord? Send a certified letter to both? I'm wanting to keep things friendly with the landlord, but want to protect myself too.

Thanks!

FarmerJ

the owner of record for every unit in that building is public information at the county property tax desk including the mailing address of the owner for property tax bills ( you can call your county property tax desk and give them the full address of the unit and they can tell you who the owner is & mailing address. If your issues are very serious as in bad enough that police reports would be best then go that route.

iditarod656

Hi FarmerJ,

If you mean I should go to the police not my landlord, well. I've already gone to the police. In fact I am planning to give a list of event numbers to the owner when I write to him.

But....What would be the best way to handle this? Just send a certified letter to the owner, and a copy to the landlord? Send a certified letter to both? I'm wanting to keep things friendly with the landlord, but want to protect myself too.

LdiJ

Hi FarmerJ,

If you mean I should go to the police not my landlord, well. I've already gone to the police. In fact I am planning to give a list of event numbers to the owner when I write to him.

But....What would be the best way to handle this? Just send a certified letter to the owner, and a copy to the landlord? Send a certified letter to both? I'm wanting to keep things friendly with the landlord, but want to protect myself too.
You are using some terminology that could cause confusion.

The owner is the landlord. The management company is the management company FOR the landlord/owner.

iditarod656

Sorry, I will correct myself:

What would be the best way to handle this? Just send a certified letter to the owner, and a copy to the management company? Send a certified letter to both? I'm wanting to keep things friendly with the management company, but want to protect myself too.

Thanks

FarmerJ

If yours and this neighbors units are owned by the same person then you could complain via certified letter to the owner, If each unit is owned by someone else then what you may want to do is send to the owner of that other unit a letter complaining about her/his tenant and one to the property management firm that is running the building if they truly represent each owner when it comes to rental management. If the neighbor is causing disturbances to the peace and its late night call police, if the neighbor threatens you , consider calling the police, if you have reasonable suspicion the neighbor is dealing drugs call the police, if that neighbors unit stinks like a meth lab call the police, if the neighbor is running a whorehouse call the police. You do not really owe your LL a heads up but if your LL does know the owner of the other unit the other units owner might respond a bit better if you did let your LL know you have made complaints about the neighbor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">