• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sewage being pumped in backyard of rental property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lioness69

What is the name of your state? ca.
i am renting a house with a month to month lease and since i moved in there has been a horrible smell around the house. recently i discovered grey water septic wasted being pumped on top of the ground from the septic tank. right in my back yard where my 3 year old plays. about a week after moving in my dg got very ill with stomach problems we now believe is from this . what rights do i have can i sue? im scared of what might be health problems to me and especially my son. thank you

FarmerJ

You used the term greywater , is that all it is just soapy water from sinks , laundry or shower? or is it blackwater than reeks of concentrated human feces and urine ? In a few places people do run separate systems for grey water and sep for blackwater , Since you are a month to month tenant why not just give your notice according to your states laws and vote with your feet , but you could ask your LL to place a large ring of wire fencing around that area so it isnt disturbed while your living there . see month to month even if you filed a complaint with your local city/ county about this your LL still can just give you notice to move out . also too if you did call your city /county govt center you do risk that if they feel justified they will write you a move out order , and then you face having to move out with possible no place lined up to go to , so thats why I suggested voting with your feet . & ( giving notice )

L

lioness69

grey water or black water?

thank you for the reply. it is definatly black water! also is there any liability on the L.L. part to compensate me i feel like he should be sued having my son and i living in sewage. that hasto be so dangerous. should i gdet a lawer?

A

aahlee

lioness

Its really not worth it to sue, since you are a month to month tenant, if you had a lease you could possibly withold the rent, and force the landlord to fix the problem.

But farmer J is correct, if you call the health dept, they could issue you an order to move, then what? if you pay your rent on the 1st then today give your notice to move, and let the next tenant worry about it, and make sure you sign a years lease next time.

FarmerJ

it is unfortunate that your dog became sick but you would have to prove that the dog drank that effluent , Other than odor If for the rest of the time you live there you keep the dog out of there and same with children , there should be no problem . I am wondering though have you spoken to your landlord about the effluent ?
If there really is something wrong that the LL wasnt aware of Perhaps there is a repair that needs to be made to the septic system that LL needs to know of . With many older septic systems the only way anyone ever knows of a problem is if water either backs up into house or is puddling on top of the yard .

L

lioness69

garden hose!!!!!!!!

it is not a septic system as you put it. i thought i explained it is as garden hose that is being pumped out of the septic tank. and i really dont feel i should have to keep my dog and my son out of my own back yard. thank you for your replys but, i am thinking you i did not explain it correctly.

FarmerJ

Ok I know exactly what they did and I understand the system one of my friends has one like that , OK first off that type of setup although you think it isnt pleasant does indeed work , and likely was installed before any county / city ordinances barred that style , then give your notice and move , (likely that house is in a very rural area that had no zoning codes in effect when that system was installed) . Ask your LL to provide a simple rigid wire fence and some stakes to ring off the area . If you ask for that do it in writting . If you dont want to do that As far as the vet bill have you asked the LL to reimburse you ? BTW even if it doesnt smell nice the water comming out of that hose is constanty being diluted and bacterial action in the tank is breaking down the waste as intended . every time water goes it hits a float and the pump turns on and spits some water out , if you really dont want to move ask your LL to bring in some pebble sized crushed rock to fill over the area that puddles . and again if you dont want to deal with any of it vote with your feet .
Any communications with your LL about this really needs to be in writting and keep copy for self , and send at the very least with a certificate of mailing so you have a rcpt for the letter .

abezon

You might also contact the county health dept & complain. They may well order LL to pump out the septic tank. If LL fails to do so, you should investigate the CA repair & deduct laws. Septic tank pumping is usually less than $300 in Washington.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">