• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sex Offender Lied On Application

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stacey2127

Georgia

Tenant filled out application and left the "...any convictions..." area blank. I asked if there was any sort of criminal background and specifically said that I will not rent to sex offenders. They said they had no criminal background. I had them write that in the blank. They didn't want to move in until the 3rd of the month (this took place on the 25th). I told them they could pay 50% of the deposit to hold the apartment until the first but they only had 35% and was going to pay the remaining deposit in full upon move in, as well as first months rent. I checked the sex offender website and neither party was listed. Updates to that website are emailed to me as available. Today, the updated registry was emailed, and the male was convicted of rape in KY. It didn't show up when I checked because he had just registered with GA a week or so ago.

Can I call them (before their move in date) and tell them they can't move in due to false information on the application? If so, do I have to return the 35% of the deposit they paid (I could have rented that unit to 2 different potential tenants during that week).

Thanks so much!!
What is the name of your state?

JETX

Can I call them (before their move in date) and tell them they can't move in due to false information on the application?
Yes.

If so, do I have to return the 35% of the deposit they paid (I could have rented that unit to 2 different potential tenants during that week).
Yes. The fact that you claim too 'lost' applicants has nothing to do with the fact that you are declining to approve them as tenants. You shouldn't have turned the others away and simply told them that an applicant was 'pending'.

CA LL

This is why it is important to check ALL states/cities they have lived in for records and...you might consider adding info to your application that I did...

For example I ask ever been convicted of a CRIME (not just felony)? If yes, WHEN? What COUNTY and STATE? Please explain.

I also ask the same for any lawsuits if they have been sued or sued anyone else. Small claims or civil? If yes WHEN? What COUNTY and STATE? Please explain.

That way I have either lots of info up front to know where to look OR lots of "lies" if they fail to list it all. I then do my best to check all records in every state/county they have lived in as reported on the application AND credit report addresses (often times more on credit report they did not report to you).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">