• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

For Sham: To remove odor from the carpet

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tiszy

Sham,

I read your post and noticed you are wanting something to clean your rental carpet to remove the pet odor of urine.

I have a rental and the lady had a cat and failed to keep the litter box cleaned. She kept the cat in one room locked up and the room stunk with urine.

Here might be a solution for you. I would try to see if your landlord would pay for it. The product I bought cost around $50.00, but it was a concentrated gallon and would do an entire house. You can also buy other brands for cheaper at a Janitorial supply house. I know they are cheaper, but I don't know if they work. I really liked this one.

Buy an enzyme pet odor cleaner. I will try to find the name of the product I bought this weekend. It was great. The room doesn't smell at all like an animal was in there.

Get a black light and turn off all the lights in the room. Take the solution and pour it on the glowing spot just like an animal has urinated. Do not wipe it up or vacumn it up with a carpet cleaning machine. The enzyme will eat the urea in the urine, the enzymes will stay alive in the carpet as long as the urea bacteria is there. The smell will go away once the urea is gone.

I think that is the process of how it works, but I know the product saved me from replacing a good carpet. I have never had another person complain and I have a no pet rule.

I hope this works for you.

Ladynred

question ?

Question.. is this enzyme treatment still working ?? Has ANY odor returned at all ? How long has it been since you treated it ? How much did you have to use and how long did it take to work ?

The problem with MOST of these treatments, even the enzyme ones is that they do NOT LAST, the smell eventually comes back. However if you've found one that is still working after a fairly long period of time, I would greatly appreciate knowing exactly what product you used.

I am renting and I have 3 cats, one of which has been mis-behaving and the carpet in one area does smell pretty bad. I've had cats for years and years, this is the first time I've had this particular problem. All other 'enzyme' treatments I've tried have failed to completely eliminate the smell, especially since the mess usually gets into the padding under the carpet.

I've also read that pouring water-based solutions, even these enzyme ones, onto an old urine problem area only produces MORE urine, so they advise that you NOT use any water-based soultions at all.

I'm in the process of trying to find a new place to live - minus the problem-child cat, mind you. If I can get rid of the smell, permanently, it would save me a LOT of money that I know I'll be charged if I can't get it cleaned up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">