• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shared Repair Costs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cosmo

California

I shared a washer/dryer with 3 other people in my house this summer. My landlord (who is one of the 3) recently told me that one of us had left a nickel in the washer, which caused damages that took $80 to repair. Since there's no way of knowing whose nickel it was, she wants us each to pay $20. It's not much money this time, but I'm curious for future reference in case something more expensive breaks. Is it legal for a landlord to ask for compensation in this kind of situation?What is the name of your state?

Who's Liable?

California

I shared a washer/dryer with 3 other people in my house this summer. My landlord (who is one of the 3) recently told me that one of us had left a nickel in the washer, which caused damages that took $80 to repair. Since there's no way of knowing whose nickel it was, she wants us each to pay $20. It's not much money this time, but I'm curious for future reference in case something more expensive breaks. Is it legal for a landlord to ask for compensation in this kind of situation?What is the name of your state?
Tell her to pound sand... Unless she can PROVE that YOU were the one to damage the washer, she cannot force you to pay... UNLESS it is written in the lease that everone would pay for a damaged washer...

ecmst12

Sounds like BS to me anyway, I've left change in the washing machine before, did no damage, washers are designed to withstand something minor like that, since it's pretty common for that to happen. If the washer was 20 years old, it was more likely that it was ready to break down anyway and the nickel either had nothing to do with it, or was just the last straw.

FarmerJ

I agree with E its Bovine Excrement, After having rentals of my own and ALSO doing the repairs to laundry equipment in group homes where I work now, The worst that a coin can do is lightly scratch the drum, SO has the LL said exactly what the repair was to the washer? Insist on being told, I f they claim its a belt, thats normal wear and tear. If its one of the pulleys under it that broke then the machine was overloaded constantly, if its a transmission repair , (older machine) it would have been more than 80.00 Clogged or failed pump ( again age and use) safety switch to shut off machine when lid raised , part is about 20.00. sounds like your in a rooming house type of situation, so If your not on a fixed term lease the LL can just raise rents with proper notice. If your on a fixed term lease then too bad for LL , plan on moving at the end of the lease with proper notice. The LL will have a hard battle proving who caused the damage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">