• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

she waived the 30 day notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lepeeps

Last week I gave 30 days notice to my landlord. She became very upset and said that she would rather have me out at the end of this month and thus waived the 30 day period. She said she would have no problem fining a new tenant. I agreed and made arrangements to vacate as requested. We have a very loose rental agreement that was month to month and had no terms regarding 30 day notification.
Last week-end she showed the place and she said she had many potential tenants. Yesterday she called and said that though the potential tenants looked good she does not want to consider them since they are all from out of town and she fears they may leave. Now she says that she will withhold October's rent since she has not found a suitable tenant. I think this is unfair since she requested that I leave and I have already secured another place to live and cannot afford to lose that portion of the deposit.
What can I do?
this is in the city of West Hollywood.

thanks

Last edited:

lepeeps

ok

I'm not sure if you are trying to be belligerent, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt.

Yes you are right other than the rental agreement we have nothing in writing. I am trying to be fair here and I am trying to do the right thing.

Isn't the landlord required to mitigate the damages?

Using your arguement since we have nothing in writing why does it only work in her favor? Are all of the normal requirements found in a standard lease just supposed to be implied?

thanks

H

happy&lucky

Ok here is the deal.....

You gave your 30 day notice last week. If you pay your rent on the 1st, and gave your notice on the 1st, and you are out by the end of the month you will owe no rent for october.

that is what a 30 day notice is for...30 days.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">