• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Short Form of Residential lease...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TracyluvsTony

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I have a short form of residential lease that does not state if I need to contact my landlord on how much time I need to give in order to move out because I have purchased a home. Nor does it state how/when tocontact him for repairs. We have told him about the needed repairs, inside and outside of the house, but he refuses to do anything. The neighbors are starting to complain about the house needing painting. He came over and power washed the house, but hasn't come back in months. Now I learn there is a lein on this rental house because he did not pay the Homeowners Association fees!
What recourses do I have? Should I still give him a 30 day notice to vacate? Again, this short form lease states absolutely nothing! If its not on the lease, how do I abide by the contract?

HomeGuru

TracyluvsTony said:

I have a short form of residential lease that does not state if I need to contact my landlord on how much time I need to give in order to move out because I have purchased a home. Nor does it state how/when tocontact him for repairs. We have told him about the needed repairs, inside and outside of the house, but he refuses to do anything. The neighbors are starting to complain about the house needing painting. He came over and power washed the house, but hasn't come back in months. Now I learn there is a lein on this rental house because he did not pay the Homeowners Association fees!
What recourses do I have? Should I still give him a 30 day notice to vacate? Again, this short form lease states absolutely nothing! If its not on the lease, how do I abide by the contract?
**A: when the lease is silent on these issues, simply refer to the provisions in the Georgia L/T law.

HomeGuru

TracyluvsTony said:

I have a short form of residential lease that does not state if I need to contact my landlord on how much time I need to give in order to move out because I have purchased a home.

**A: no lease would state that.
Nor does it state how/when tocontact him for repairs.

**A: then how/when do you contact him to pay the rent?
We have told him about the needed repairs, inside and outside of the house, but he refuses to do anything.

**A: have you actually read the L/T law? Maybe if you did, your questions would be answered.
As you can see, you are not telling us the complete story and it is obviously very one sided.

treese

Is it a month to month agreement or a term (6 month, year ...) lease?

If you have a month to month agreement - 30 days will do.

If you have a term lease and you want to leave before the term expires, you will have to negotiate (if the LL is willing) in order to get out of the lease.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">