• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

should i have to pay deposit?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lemkeg86

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I was planning to move into a unit that needed a ton of work before becoming liveable. I was under verbal pretense with LL that when i moved in, it would only be $700 total,(first months rent). This is because i offered to do a bunch of work to replace deposit. This work included over 8 hours of deep cleaning, painting and laying tile and baseboards. I created an invoice and all this work totaled to $770.00, on the cheaper side.. but when i got lease it said something about deposit and i signed it, assuming that the verbal agreement still stood. Now, the landlord is bothering me about paying a deposit! it has been three months since i moved in by the way. Therefore, I printed out the invoice and told him if he pays me for the work i did i will give him deposit. does anyone have any other advice that may be helpful?! I'm not sure how to move forward. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BL

You should have gotten it all in writing signed and dated.

Now the LL can claim you took the unit "as-is".

You could always try to sue but that would but you even at more odds with the LL.

justalayman

so, you actually did the work?

do you have anything in writing addressing the work? If not, not only will you likely end up paying a deposit but if the LL wants to really yank you around, he can charge you to "undo" the work you did. You cannot alter a rental unit without provable permission lest you become liable for the damages.

do you have any licenses, if there are any required, for the work you performed as a contractor?

lemkeg86

I have created an invoice as an indendant no license. He was aware of all work and instructed me to do everything verbally,I have pictures of the "before" work was done.I was also never provided with a checklist of damages prior to my moving in. Also, a deposit is for fixing a place after I depart, right?However, the place will be in significantly better shape than it was prior to my presence.what the heck would he need the deposit for?? Btw, this a landlord of a house he is renting to own, nit an apartment, if that matters. Thank you for your response.

justalayman

.what the heck would he need the deposit for??
oh, in case you forget to pay rent one month or you put holes in the walls or some dog you adopt makes messes in the house or...

in the end, it is irrelevant.

I have created an invoice as an indendant no license.
but are you required to have a license to do any of the work you did?

the place will be in significantly better shape than it was prior to my presence
that's your opinion. His may differ.

Btw, this a landlord of a house he is renting to own, nit an apartment,
so he doesn't even own the house? I wonder if the guy can even rent it under his contract. I know that if I had a home and contracted it as rent to own, I surely would not allow any subleases. You might want to find that out before going much further with this. If his contract does not allow him to sublease, your stay may be short lived.

lemkeg86

Well as a cleaner, I do not need to be licensed but in florida you must have a license to do construction.as long as there were no permits required for the minor work, which there werent, i know there are plenty of people that do small side jobs like this for money.also, no matter who were to view the situation, the property was inhabitable before I did the work. On that note, it is inhabitable still by law, from what I have read. I have pests, no smoke alarm or carbon monoxide detector and broken window, all existing conditions rior to my moving in. Do you think there is a loop hold of some sort with this new information I provided? I sent a certified letter of all of the disrepair to be fixed but he has not received it yet. Thank you.

lemkeg86

Also, I do plan on leaving as soon as possible, but I am trying to leave with a broken lease from his end so i am not affected negatively. From my knowledge, he is allowed to sublease to me but he refuses to give me the original owners contact information which seems fishy. But then he keeps telling me that it is the original owner who is pushing for the deposit...

BL

Maybe the LL is just taking/using you ?

Did you read what was posted about the LL's ability to sublease .

Certainly if the place is uninhabitable you do not have to pay rent or deposit and should not be residing there.

Sounds like you wanted a place to live and save some money .

You both lose.

justalayman

Oh so you want to end the tenancy. I suspect if you do not pay the deposit shortly you may get your wish. Of course it will be in the form of an eviction but the tenancy will end none the less.

lemkeg86

I'm not trying to be vindictive at all, I just moved in bc I needed a place quickly, now I regret it. I just want to leave. I did not repair anything, nor will I. I read that if he does not fix the problems within a week I can withhold rent and it would be breaking the lease on his part, soi could leave with no penalty. I've already sent the request for repairs via certified mail.I just want to lesve and wash my hands of it! As a friend, I didn't think I would get screwed so I didn't bother with documenting anything in the beginning, as I should have. Guess there's no friends in business...

lemkeg86

He is also now requesting I give him electric, water and trash money. The lease states that I am to pay the $700 first of every month prior and electric/ water is included. Its right in the lease.. he's completely using me. He is trying to buy a "fixer upper" and is in way too deep, so I feel he is trying to milk me for anything he can. He says the real owner keeps asking for the deposit, then when we arguing he said he put down the money for me and I need to pay him back! Its all just very fishy. He's from italy and I don't think he understands how a deposit works. I think he believes he can spend it. ALSO..... the real owner gave him money to fix my window and stuff and he spent it all renovating his own place!! Law states the building should be returned in condition it was before I moved in. Should I just rip up floors and make walls and everything look like they did when I moved in then!? This sucks. I'm not a bad person and this is so stressful.

BL

He is also now requesting I give him electric, water and trash money. The lease states that I am to pay the $700 first of every month prior and electric/ water is included. Its right in the lease.. he's completely using me. He is trying to buy a "fixer upper" and is in way too deep, so I feel he is trying to milk me for anything he can. He says the real owner keeps asking for the deposit, then when we arguing he said he put down the money for me and I need to pay him back! Its all just very fishy. He's from italy and I don't think he understands how a deposit works. I think he believes he can spend it. ALSO..... the real owner gave him money to fix my window and stuff and he spent it all renovating his own place!! Law states the building should be returned in condition it was before I moved in. Should I just rip up floors and make walls and everything look like they did when I moved in then!? This sucks. I'm not a bad person and this is so stressful.
Call in inspections . If they deem the place inhabitable you owe nothing and any monies you have paid is owed back to you ,and move out. Then sue for the work you done and explain it ,although without anything written or signed that may be a loss to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">