• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should neighbor's landlord accede to MY noise complaint?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RicM

I own a home, and my next door neighbors rent from a landlord who lives elsewhere. The neighbors throw a loud monthly party - loud mostly from boisterous drunken talking on the side stoop, which is about 30 feet from my bedroom window. I have asked them to pipe down in the past, with polite but unsubstantial results. I have also called their landlord. His view is that I "have no right" to bother him just because his tenants are bothering me. Is that true? I live in Tennessee. Thanks!

Litigation!

RicM said:
I own a home, and my next door neighbors rent from a landlord who lives elsewhere. The neighbors throw a loud monthly party - loud mostly from boisterous drunken talking on the side stoop, which is about 30 feet from my bedroom window. I have asked them to pipe down in the past, with polite but unsubstantial results. I have also called their landlord. His view is that I "have no right" to bother him just because his tenants are bothering me. Is that true? I live in Tennessee. Thanks!

My response:

Why are you bothering the landlord? During the term of the lease, in effect, that residence doesn't "belong" to the landlord - - it "belongs" to the renter!

Therefore, you call the police if you're bothered.

IAAL

acmb05

Who's Liable? said:
Just call the police everytime they throw a party...
Yeppers. We Tennesseeans have some pretty strict noise ordinances on the books. If it can be heard more that 50 feet away after 9 pm it is to loud and they will be ticketed for it. $145.00 fine

Ellerge

The Landlord has to, by Law, stand guard at his rental house 24/7 to insure that his tenants do not disturb the neighbors. Also, call me as I have some ocean front property in Arizona that I want to sell you.

Last edited:

acmb05

Ellerge said:
The Landlord has to, by Law, stand guard at his rental house 24/7 to insure that his tenants do not disturb the neighbors. Also, call me as I have some ocean front property in Arizona that I want to sell you.
One good sized earthquake and you just might have ocean front property in Arizona

justalayman

I do understand you folks as to the LL responsibility but the laws are a changin'.

South Bend Indiana, home of University of Notre Dame: there are new laws holding LL responsible for conduct on their rentals premises.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">