• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sign an automatically renewing lease that already automatically renewed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

illaurail

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
Hello. I live in Hatfield, PA. I have signed a one year lease that states it automatically renews. I spent the year there. New lease needed signing for the new year even know it automatically renews. I never signed it. I forgot, they forgot. 6 months into the new year, new neighbors arrived in the building. They are very loud at all hours, slam doors, curse up a storm by my door, the building is spray painted cocaine, they have vandalized our cars and guests cars, I have made police reports, they have 24/7 parties, there is over 6 people living in their 2 bedroom apartment, they sell drugs out the building and the parking lot is covered in drug bags and drug paraphernalia and trash, one of their guests puked in the hallway and left it a few days before Christmas, it was there 3 weeks after the holidays, they posted a letter about the vomit 2 weeks before its removal in which was the next morning after I had to call the health department about it, the ceiling over the shower leaks, ect.
Well, I sent notice of non renewal and I will be moving April 1st and this is why. They called stating new lease wasn't signed, must be signed asap.. tomorrow morning. The renewal applied a $500 credit that I did not get because I didn't sign it before. They say that then the keys must be returned March 31st, pay for 2 months rent of notice and a month of penalty but return the keys March 31st. I am paid up to date now and have acquired new residence.
If I do not wish to return the keys March 31st, than I will be required to write a new letter of non renewal stating another date and pay for another month making 4 months.
Seeing its make or break tomorrow morning with signing this lease... I don't know what to do. They lie to me all the time, deny everything and never return calls.
None of this is adding up correctly in my head but I have no where to turn to find out my legal rights. I would like to fight this anyway I can.
If I do not sign this lease tomorrow than I lose the $500 credit and have to turn over keys early and still pay for months I won't be living here.
What do I do?
Thank you in advance!!
-Laura
Hatfield Village

sam02135

First of all, complain to your landlord or the management company and document it. You have the right for "enjoyment of life". If that doesn't work, submit the documentations and terminate the lease.

The automatically renewal leases .. well .. haven't heard of that but you should have a say when the lease year is up. If you forgot.. you forgot ... But do challenge your right to the "enjoyment of life"....

BL

I am paid up to date now and have acquired new residence.
Well you made that decision .

If you have acquired new residence ,then I'd say don't sign a re-newal one.

If you signed a lease that stated it automatically renewed ,what does that least state about notices ,etc .

If you failed to give them notice of non renewal ,you may be stuck paying some penalties .

Sounds like signing a new lease they are giving a 500.00 incentive for doing so .

You will need copies of police reports , dates and times ,or at least a list of PR incidences at the location you complained of and documentation of your complaints to LL .

Unless there have been arrest made , appearance tickets issued for occurrences at that address you complain of the LL's hands are pretty much tied ,unless they can substantiate a breach of lease terms high enough to warrant a court to evict .

The police on the other hand could be sitting on this investigating ,hoping to fry the bigger fish .

It all takes time .

If there is good enough documentation and the LL failed to evict ,you could try and use constructive eviction to defend .

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">