• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signed Lease But House Unavailble! Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cossack

Help!
My Sig Other wanted to move. She found a house. Her and landlord signed a lease to take occupancy on the 1st of next month. Paid deposit and check was cashed. Hired movers for the 31st. She then gave her 30 day to her current landlord.

The previous tennant had given landlord 30 day notice.

Now the previous tennant refuses to move. :eek: My love has no home after the 31st. What are her leagal options?

Mansfield Ohio, Richland county.
Please help!

FarmerJ

Since the Unit is not available as promised tell your Partner to send in writing a letter to landlord insisting on full refund of all money paid since unit isnt available as promised , immediately . Tell Partner to keep copy for self and send it out where there is a confirmation of delivery like fed ex or registered return recpt . If landlord refuses .Tell Partner to go see the clerk of the civil court at the courthouse and get information about filing a civil claim to have the court order refund .

J

jlw1000

Sounds like your Sig Other is one of the good tenants, and is getting shfted by a bad tenant. I am sure the new landlord wants the rental unit to be ready & available for her, but the old tenant has no regard for anyone else.

Your Sig Other can do as Farmer J suggests, and I'm sure the landlord will refund the $$ no problem. Other solutions:

1. She can ask her current landlord for an extension. If a new tenant has not been found yet, and she has been a good tenant, the currentlandlord may be willing to help her work things out.

2. She can move in with family & friends until the new place is ready. Although this could take several months if the old tenant forces the landlord to take them to court.

I wish you the best.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">